iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How do you feel after finding out a local place that you really love close down?

I was trying to find my old review for a steak place recommendation for another post, and I was really surprised to find out that the place has closed down.

The place is called Chow Down in Foster City, California. I dined at the place a few times in the past, but haven't been back ever since. One reason is that the place is a bit out of the way from where I live, and at some point I just tried to eat less heavy food like steak (in fact, I can't even remember the last time I had steak...). I even took my guest from Singapore to this place and he loved it.

Photo

When I looked at the review, I was a bit surprised to find out that the only review on the page was mine. What was even more surprising was that the owner really appreciated my review, and even asked me for recommendations. And you know what? I never knew that he replied to my review until today, even though the review was written 4 years ago! But now the place has closed down, and I must say I'm getting a bit emotional.

chowdown_1.PNG

This was before the existence of Local Guides. Back then, it was still called City Expert and limited to only a few big cities all over the world. Now I'm starting to wonder, if the place received more reviews, providing them more exposure, would they close down? I mean, there can be other reasons for the place to close down again, but I just can't help but think. What if I actually saw his reply back then, and actually gave him feedback? Hmmm...

6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: How do you feel after finding out a local place that you really love close down?

Hi @iyudhi.

Thank you for sharing with us. It is a really touching story. I totally understand when a part of your memory would seize to exist. I believe that the owner of the restaurant would fully understand your support. 

On the positive note - it is very likely that the owner would have opened a newer establishment, don't you think?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 8

Re: How do you feel after finding out a local place that you really love close down?

I feel bad! But I will try to find them maybe they could open the news.

Level 10

@iyudhi it appears there were a lot of reviews on Yelp and some on TripAdvisor with most being 4 to 5 stars so looks like they did get some good social media support.

The chef was Bill Chow, hence the name?, and there are current references to chef Bill Chow on google but might be someone different.  Facebook and Twitter accounts for restaurant are still up but may not be active.

It is quite disappointing to see a favourite close down.  One of mine changed hands but kept name and an hoping good review will still stand going forward 

Connect Moderator

Always sad when a good place closes down @iyudhi - it's even sadder when its a place you added to Maps. I went back to a cafe last weekend to grab a coffee and found it was closed. Sadly I got to both add and remove this place on Maps.

Level 7

Hello bro need your help.....

Level 7

With Google Map, I will ensure the timings  before  my journey to the favorite place. 

No case of sadness.