Malarik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How do you decide what Camera to use for different types of Photos?

Hi,

Since I have several devices that can take pics, I am curious how others decide on which to use & when.

I have the Google Pixel 1 st gen, the iPhone 7, 3 Pentax DSLR's, 2 Sony Cameras, and a few others.

Some I carry around, a small one is in my glovebox, another is in my trunk, and 1-2 DSLR's are hiding under

some jackets in my backseat sometimes.  They all serve a purpose.

Of course, the Pentax K-1's 36 Megapixels are nice, but it is huge & heavy...and quite obvious.  For some, they

say nice camera, but others are like, why are you taking serious pics.  With most phones, people usually assume

you either are a tourist in this area, or that you are checking your email or something.

Sometimes my choice can lead to "buyers remorse"....so if I get a good shot at a low resolution, I then wish I

had used my DSLR.  Since sunsets can destroy a pricey DSLR, I use a cheaper camera...like a Sony with the

smaller sensor.

How do you pick?

Thanks

-Paul 🙂

PMJ

Pismo Beach, CA, United States
5 comments
Level 10

Re: How do you decide what Camera to use for different types of Photos?

My decisions are taking in consideration these parameters:

• is the work on assignment or not? (DSLR/360 All In one camera)
  • is the work low budget? (360 All in One camera)
  • I'm touristing around a city? (iphone 7, 360 all in one camera)
  • is this a non paid work for artistic place? (DSLR Gigapano)
  • I'm in the nature on an easy hike? (DSLR, All in One, smartphone, GoPro, Drone)
  • I'm on a difficult climb (iphone 7, GoPro, 360 All in One camera)
Level 8

My thoughts.... The best camera is the one you have with you, when you really need a camera... Right Now !

The day the towers fell, I was in NY City with a Kodak DC260  (a  3.2 Megapixel 3x zoom camera)

The lesson that I learned years ago, and was definitely reinforced that day, is always have some kind of a camera with you.

I have a couple of DSLRs (brand doesn't really matter that much, most top end cameras are very good) and I usually have at least one in my car, along with a couple of lenses and powerful flash.... BUT.... To this day, I almost always carry a 16 Megapixel, 5x optical zoom, PHD (Push Here Dummy) kind of camera, just because you never know when stuff will happen that can never be reproduced.- And of course, everybody has a cell phone camera these days.

-

I'll repeat, the best camera is the one you have with you, when stuff hits the fan.AND, In an emergency, any high end pocket camera (with some kind of manual overrides or program mode) can probably get the job done, as long as you know how to use the overrides.

Level 6

Unless I'm out for specific subjects, I use my Samsung Galaxy; it's in my pocket. The raw image I get will be fine no matter how much I have to shop it, snicker.

Over the years I have quite a comfort level with Canon's Sureshot series. Speed and articulate sensors are a given with Canon's rigs--no matter how much Sony and Nikon tempts me.

Level 10

Hi @Malarik

To post photos on Google maps, I use the camera of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.

To create non-commercial panoramas 360, I use Samsung Gear 360.

To create commercial panoramas 360, I use a Nikon 5200 camera.

Andriy Degula
Level 6

Hi Paul.

How do I pick a camera? Easy. I have 3 pieces of equipment I could use for taking photos.

*Nikon D5300 DSLR.

*Dji Osmo.

*Samsung S7 mobile.

When I'm travelling, if I know I'll be taking photos on the day, I'll use the DSLR. Filming? Then the Dji Osmo. As for the Samsung S7 - I'll bring it out for selfi shots with locals. In India I'm always getting asked to take or appear in photos with locals, so it's polite to do the same back 🙂 I'd never use it for any serious shots I want to upload to Flickr etc.

I don't film and take photos on the same day, it's usually one of the other. I also have a day of two where I do not take any photographic equipment with me (okay maybe the phone).

Cheers

James