TannerSousley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How did you get started?!

Hello, Everyone! 

My name is Tanner Sousley and I am from Tacoma, Washington. I want to introduce myself here and see how some fellow guides got their start. 19023330_10208416708289133_442911049519334843_o.jpg

So here is how I got started:

In September of 2015, I was struggling to keep my sanity as I was working a full time job, saving up for college, and I got a phone call from my Uncle who had just moved to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. He wanted me to come and live there and work with his monument company so, without much hesitation, I moved over there! It was my first time being away from home, and I loved the freedom. I didn't have very much time to make friends or even go out as I was swamped with a full time job with a ton of overtime. I would wake up as early as 3am and load up the truck with headstones, hit the road, and drive often times 12 hours a day while installing the headstones in cemeteries from Eastern Washington, to Eastern Montana, up to the Canadian Border and down to Boise, Idaho. 

16 - 1.jpg

I used Google Maps for everything but most of the time, the cemeteries I needed direction to weren't listed so I would add them myself. Then, I began taking pictures of them. I would be on the road constantly which means restaurants, gas stations, rest stops, and any other place you can think of started getting reviews from me. I have always been adventurous so I began taking different routes every time I needed to get somewhere. 

Last Fall I was setting up a funeral in Idaho for a woman who had passed away from Cancer at the age of 37 and I watched with tears as her 2 young boys laid their mother to rest. That was the day that my mortality hit me. We're not going to live forever and we shouldn't live like we are invincible. So, I did the craziest thing I had ever done in my life and I booked a one way ticket to Europe where I ended up staying for 3 months traveling around Germany, France, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, and Spain! This helped me get a few points as well. 

Walking cobble stone streets that had witnessed so much in their thousands of years of existing, and exploring castles, fortresses, and history really began to change my way of thinking. My Visa was up so I had to come back home and now I am working for the City and saving up the funds in order to go back and stay a little bit longer. In the mean time, I will keep exploring! 

I look forward to hearing about how you all got started! Go ahead and follow me on Google plus and I will do the same.

Who knows, maybe one day we can meet up!19144017_10208464400881418_8240208842408568046_o.jpg

!~Keep Exploring~!

4 comments
Level 10

Re: How did you get started?!

Something heart touching story you have @TannerSousley:

That was the day that my mortality hit me. We're not going to live forever and we shouldn't live like we are invincible. So, I did the craziest thing I had ever done in my life and I booked a one way ticket to Europe where I ended up staying for 3 months traveling around Germany, France, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, and Spain!

Thanks for sharing it with us. 🙂

Level 10

@TannerSousley Wow, great story, Many of us would love to see this, but as you are new here and this is your first post let me give you some few Tips.

Tips for getting started:

This section of the site has some good tips on how to use the community and interact with your fellow Local Guides. 

• Search the community before posting as others may have asked your question (and received an answer) already. 
  • Use a descriptive title for your post to make it easier for people to know whether they should open it. 
  • Use the Location field to geotag your post to a specific place, but make sure its important to the content of the post.  
  • Don't share personal information on the forums, check out the private messaging option instead. 
  • This area has helpful information about the Local Guides program in case you have more questions. 

Please can you  Introduce Yourself here :Introduce Yourself June we would love to know about you and your beautiful experience there, I hope to here from you soon.

Kind Regards 🙂

Level 7

Very inspiring story @TannerSousley!

Do make your way down to Malaysia on your next adventure, and I would be honoured to host you and show you what we have on this side of the rock.

As for my story, I lost my job as CEO of a Federal Government agency quite abruptly 11 months ago. While I was the boss, I had little use for Googe Maps as I had a personal chauffer to drive me and my family around everyday. To this day I'm still looking for a stable job, and I have to drive myself around like the rest of mankind :-p. I'm also cash strapped as you can imagine, so I use Google Maps all the time to find the best, shortest and cheapest routes (highway tolls are quite expensive here. Or rather I feel the pinch now), and also to find the best deals at restaurants and shops. I have more time on my hands, so I contribute a lot to help others out. I set a goal for myself to reach Level 5 so I could be in the running for Local Guides Summit 2017 #LGS2017, so I hunkered down and added places and reviewed like crazy. I reached my goal, and lo and behold... I got selected for #LGS2017 in San Francisco this October. 

If you are in SF/LA in mid-October, there will be 150 Local Guides from around the world that would LOVE to meet you 😄

Keep in touch!

Sincerely,

Aziph

Level 10

Dear TannerSousley, hope all's well with you.

You've got a great story. Love how you're finding new ways to get places. Where else do you want to go, like your 3 months in Europe?

You asked for other's stories, here's ours for you: At home, here in Busselton, WA, delivery driver asked us, "Where's Penguin Way?" We weren't sure, so, later we looked, found it, Googled, "Add road to Google Maps?" Suggested edit. Google then updated satellite view, showing new roads near Penguin Way. Amazing feeling, completely awesome. Enjoying suggesting edits for Maps ever since. 😃

Thanks for the chat, TannerSousley, nice to meet you. Kind regards from Osaka78