DanielPetrov's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How dangerous it is to contribute to Google maps?

Hello Google map Contributors,

I like to contribute to Google maps and every free time that I have I go somewhere and start adding pictures, writing reviews and so on. Didn't know noting about www.localguidesconnect.com till few days ago. I'm from Bulgaria, currently live in Capital - Sofia and must say is very hard to contribute here. Till know have several times that I almost get beaten for that I make pictures, do edits and write comments.  Last time was today when I making pictures of Locksmith small studio and some gorilla get outside of the shop start questioning what I'm doing, why I'm doing that and so on till finally he accused me that i'm hinder his business and tell that we must deal this like man. I say to me wtt? and start explain to him that i'm trying to add his shop to Google maps and this is not bad and i don't break any of his rights when I get public photo on his shop. I start explaining him that pictures that I make are legal because locksmith is a public service and I have right  to take pictures ( in Bulgaria is non legal to take picture of someone without his permission). 

The other times that I have that kind of situation was similar like today.  

I was wondering is anyone have such a hard moment in his contribution to Google maps?  I will be glad to hear your story. 

64 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: How dangerous it is to contribute to Google maps?

Hi @DanielPetrov A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

Thanks for your post, unfurtunately this is a common experience for many Local Guides, and with a simple search you will find a lot of posts about this subject.

My personal experience is to ask all the time. In some case, with small business, the best solution is to introduce yourself to the business as a Local Guide, explaining in a clear way that this is a free, volunteer activity, show your contribution profile in Google Maps, and show them how other business appear in Maps. In some case, after that, some owner was helping me in taking photos, showing to me the most interesting points of the shops.

It can be a funny and interesting experience but, if the answer is not, we have to understand that we don't have to insist.

Avoid all the time to take photos of people, this is a basic rule that we should follow all the time

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know now to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

View solution in original post

Level 8

@DanielPetrov

Many local guide faced this Google maps never encourage us to contribute if anyone disagree or if that contribute break any rules/privacy etc. take it easily and move on If anyone wants your identity you can show your contribution Page on google maps.I have faced whenever​ i try to take 360 photos via mobile everyone ask me what I'm doing and they think I'm mad😶😶😏😭😞

Level 10

@ayann

Thank you for sharing. I will move on. 🙂 

Level 7

Contributing to Google maps is one thing,     

Taking the photo is another thing,    

I am an amateur photographer,    and have attended a number of photographic courses,  and one thing that is stressed

on all courses,     when taking photo's in public,    always ask permission when you want to take pics of people or their business's 

The other main one,   make sure to avoid taking photo's of children,   some parents become rather aggressive / protective,    

If you feel you would like to,   introduce yourself to the parents first,   explain what you are doing.    but don't be surprised 

if you get chased away

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @DanielPetrov A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

Thanks for your post, unfurtunately this is a common experience for many Local Guides, and with a simple search you will find a lot of posts about this subject.

My personal experience is to ask all the time. In some case, with small business, the best solution is to introduce yourself to the business as a Local Guide, explaining in a clear way that this is a free, volunteer activity, show your contribution profile in Google Maps, and show them how other business appear in Maps. In some case, after that, some owner was helping me in taking photos, showing to me the most interesting points of the shops.

It can be a funny and interesting experience but, if the answer is not, we have to understand that we don't have to insist.

Avoid all the time to take photos of people, this is a basic rule that we should follow all the time

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know now to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

Level 10

@RickBooysen

Thank you for your reply. I think taking photos and contribute are parallel. Yes your right, better is when you get shots to be clear for owner of shop that you do it for contribute to Google maps. Well i'm actually don't shot ppl when i uploaded photos on google map, at least I try to avoid that issue.    

Level 10

@ErmesT

Thank you for your response of my post and Hello me on www.localguidesconnect.com. Good advice from you to avoid get in trouble when i get photos in my contribution. It is good for sharing you experience with me I appreciate that. Well, seem I miss to search more deeply in LGC topics for that kind of issue's like mien so hope not get ppl here angry for spamming with same discussion.  

Level 7

It feels really scary about what happened to you.
I would advise you a technique which i use generally:

1) I go and speak to the business owner that i work for Google Maps and i make him aware his shop is not available on maps or pictures are not available then i take pictures.
2) If i feel that 1st option is not going to work i still take pictures casually were i make my friends as subject of the picture and still the shop is there in the frame

And then i upload/Contribute,it is not that tough when compared to Arab countries from were my maximum contributions are.

Level 10

Hi @RizwanM

Thank for your advise. I get my contribution seriously and have few situations like this one. I'm already 10 stars but i don't have this Master Traiblazer badge on my account probably because i want to save some trouble. I already prefer to add monuments and history places than businesses  which is very difficult  because there is not many not added.  I post this because is not so easy to be active contributor.

Level 10

@DanielPetrov I live in Thailand, where every business owner that I've asked is super excited for me to put their business photo on Google Maps. But I'm very lucky. And when I travel, I realized that not everyone in the world feels the same way, so I'm much more cautious outside of Thailand.

Good luck with this! I recommend changing your strategy from taking a lot of different business pictures, to finding select businesses who want you to take their picture, and then taking a lot of pictures of that business. Those locksmith guys usually have big friends, and I'd rather you be a long-term Local Guide than take a few cool risky pictures and then retire from the program.

Also, some small business owners seem really paranoid about people photographing their trade secrets, and some don't like pictures for other reasons. I think it's really backward thinking, but it exists. I always try to remember that there are many other businesses out there that don't have pictures yet.