MAN-O's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How being a local guide saved me from depression

I have been in and out of depression for the past few years. It got so bad that i almost took my life several times.  I saw nothing to live for in this life,  everything lost its beauty and attraction to me. Even though i excelled in my child hood dream career and i am blessed with a beautiful wife and kids,  i found myself withdrawing from everything uncontrollably. 

When i signed up to be a local guide every thing gradually returned to normal and even better. As i took pictures of places and review places and businesses, the spark began to happen for me again.  I didn't need to visit the hospital again, i am full of life now.  My friends, family and colleagues are wondering what has happened to me. 

Today i am pushing for a course to show the beauty of our community and possibly help folks who have lost touch with nature. I have decided to host meet ups targeted at achieving this goal.

7 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: How being a local guide saved me from depression

Hi @MAN-O,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is awesome to hear that being a Local Guide inspired you to help others. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

To get you started, feel free to check out these links:

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hello @MAN-O take care.

When I experienced a very long fighting illness in the past, I got a mental illness like you. I want to tell you that it is now completely cured.

I am a psychology student. As you say, volunteer activities will give you a good opportunity to open up your closed spirit. Mankind will seek more volunteers from now on. Because it means that we often want mental health.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

It's a pleasure to hear something like what you said. Never lose your hope and stay with us. Whenever you need us come and pay a visit because we are always here for everyone. Stay focused and may god bless you and your beloved family.

@MAN-O share more and learn more from Googler's.

Hi @MattTony,

Thank you for sharing with us the moving story.

Mental health is a really important topic that is usually being neglected. Sharing is the key to fix things up, as there is no better healing factor than the family.

Keep being active and enjoy life!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Googler

Hi @MAN-O. Thank you so much for sharing this post. I love reading how Local Guides have been inspired by what they can do with Google Maps for their communities, but to hear directly how it has helped you and you helped it, was a wonderful note. I also want to thank you for sharing your own challenges, as we all have them and reading about it helps us realize we aren't alone. 

My story about how Local Guides has helped me: Anyone who knows me, knows I love New York City but there have been times I've felt like I didn't want to be here anymore which would be a huge change since my family and job is here. But, by taking more photos, creating lists and sharing what is special (like you have), I continue to fall in love with NYC again and again. 

I wish you the best of luck in your meet-up efforts and if you meet just one person who enjoys life and nature like you do, you will be in great company! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

@MAN-O - Thank you for sharing. It is really something how even when you have everything, the mind can still play tricks on you and put you in a dark place. I am happy to hear that you are doing much better and I am glad that the Local Guides program was an outlet for the light inside of you. All the best to you!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 10

Hi @MAN-O and  congratulations for your courage to share with us your story and for having overcome your depression!

I am sure that organizing the meet ups will make you even happier and above all you will be able to help many other people who will take you as an example!

Good luck for your next meet-up!

Bye,

David