GusMoreira's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How a Nigerian Local Guide added nearly 700 places on Google Maps

This week, we announced a big update for Local Guides: 10 levels (up from 5) and different amounts of points for each contribution. We made the changes based on requests from the community to have points better reflect the skill, dedication, and impact of individual Local Guides.

And to celebrate, we’re featuring stories of passionate contributors all week.  

Now you earn a point for every question you answer and every place you rate, and you score even more for adding photos, writing reviews, editing places, and being the first to add a place on Google Maps.

The latter is now worth a whopping 15 points. That’s because it’s one of the most important ways we can help people as they navigate the world. It also makes it easier to find local businesses and other destinations that benefit from being on the Map.

Adding places is a particular passion of Local Guide @NkennaA from Nigeria. He’s added more than 680 places on Google Maps, and with the change in points, he just jumped to level 8! We spoke to Nkenna about what drives him to make such an incredible impact.

SAM_0044_2.jpgWhy do you like adding places on Google Maps?

When the Google Maps view of your state or your street looks lonely, and you know there’s so much going on out there...you would do something about that. And that’s why I’ve kept a steady pace adding places. I am always with my laptop and gadgets even when I go to the gym. So with every new place I see that I know I couldn’t find on the Map, I just add them.

Do you follow any specific schedule?

There are some weeks when I won’t add any new places—sometimes I’m just not moving around. But when I get around, I add as many places as my battery or data can take me. It all depends on my schedule. Meet-ups don’t occur frequently—the few ones I have attended were hosted by me—but in the near future, perhaps with all these new Local Guides joining my community, my addition rates may spike, [especially] with more meet-ups.

What’s your strategy for finding unmapped places?

I find places to add by using Google Maps as if I were a visitor to Nigeria. I know my state Enugu like the back of my hand, so when I see that a particular street is under mapped, I create a to-do task list on my phone for the next time I go around said neighborhood, and voila—I am mapping!

Why do you think it’s important to add these places?

People often take for granted the data they use on Google Maps. Lots of non Local Guides often think the places were added by some satellite robot. But as a Local Guide, you really get to appreciate what other Local Guides are doing by travelling, especially to a foreign state.

Nigeria is really large and because of the security situation, nobody wants to be asking any strangers questions. Using Google Maps has made me know where I’m going before I’m there, and I always wish I could thank the Local Guides who provide those places, or leave the review of those hotels—it’s so comforting, and an experience you’ll only understand if you travel. [Note: While you can’t always thank someone directly, you can always give helpful contributions a thumbs up!]

That being the case, it motivates me to do same for others who will be travelling into Enugu for the first time, and relying on Google Maps to tell them what to do and when to do it. People can be very shy, and it would do a shy person a lot of good to just click and know instead of going to the trouble of making a trip for no reason.

What else do you like to do in your free time?

My hobby list used to be playing chess, reading, running, movies, and coding. Now it’s playing chess, reading, Mapping, running, etc. Being a Local Guide has been really rewarding in its own ways. I find it to be a proper use of my spare time and I’m proud to be among the global community of Local Guides.

How do you find unmapped places in your city? Tell us in the comments below and stay tuned to read another installment of Local Guides Stories tomorrow.

Note: Interview has been edited for clarity.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
56 comments
Level 10

Re: How a Nigerian Local Guide added nearly 700 places on Google Maps

Thanks for sharing NkennA's experience with us, @GusMoreira

And kudos to you for making Maps better with your quality contributions

Adding 'Missing Places' is my second best way to contribute to Maps (First being correcting the errors and bad data. I've been contributing from Map Maker days and I guess, old habits never die) 

While the cities in my country, India are almost well mapped, the villages resemble a blank sheet. I always click some reference pics for adding the later or make a quick note of the missing places in Google Keep if the network is bad. 

As of today, I've added 960+ new places. And, I hope to reach 1000 soon. 

Cheers

🙂 

Level 8

Hii @GusMoreira

Thanks for the New Feature,Level,Badges

@AmithES you right Bro.

Level 10

@GusMoreira Thanks for sharing, Nigeria all the way 😄 😄

Level 10

@GusMoreira Thanks for letting us know this, @OnyedikaBenjaminJ@VictorOmebije@Anonymous thanks for falling into this ranking list of nearly 700 places.

Level 9

Nice.. He contributes a lot on google maps... Familiar with the name on Google map maker.... Runtins.

Level 10

Thank you @HelloSamsonR

Level 7

@GusMoreira Thanks for featuring @Anonymous. I'm actually inspired to devote a routine and get those hidden places on the maps. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! I can't Believe I'm Featured On Connect!! Thanks Google Local Guides, Thanks Connect Members!

Level 6

Great work, @Anonymous!