tajmao's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How I Spent My Weekend @ Freedom Park, Broad Street, Lagos, Nigeria

So, I spent the weekend, and friday night, at Freedom Park, Lagos. It was the last leg of the Lagos Book and Art Festival.

Formerly a prison, Freedom Park is now a recreational haven for music and art lovers. The atmosphere is thick with inspiration and artistic motivation that if not for the distance, I most likely would spend as much of my spare time within its walls and probably never leave.

So the festival drew many creatives and in its 20th year, it theme RENEWAL: A WORLD THAT WORKS FOR ALL seemed apt. Imagine rubbing shoulders with Bimbo Manuel, Tunji Sotimirin, Tee Mac, Joy Bewaji and Tunde Kelani. Sad that i couldn't be a part of the entire event, I did catch the exhibition by ASIRI Magazine's Damola who, through illustration art and an installation, captured the history of the 1851 invasion of Lagos. This was held in the museum where one could also view the prison history of the park.

Upstairs, I got an insight into prison life in those years and seeing a sample size of a cell as well as the gallows kind of sent shivers down my spine. As darkness fell and i walked the beautiful grounds of the park, I could not help but imagine if mingled with the artistic vibes throbbing through the place, that there were also ghosts of prisoners that had died there. 

Music and performances filled the weekend while kids from various public and private schools were treated to reading sessions and from the glow in their eyes, I believe there is hope for the next generation. 

I bought books from the various publishing houses and book stores that came to sell (despite how broke I am, i must add) and i listened to the poetry grand slam as well as watched an all girls school perform a south african dance that got the audience moving to the beat.

Its festival season! So immediately after the events of LABAF were rounded off, LAGOS FRINGE FESTIVAL was introduced and so this means i will be going there again (as many times as my pocket allows me) this week. Other than the festivals, the park hosts weekly events which includes stage plays, jazz performances, dance performances and karaoke.

Join me in the experience that is Freedom Park.

Cheers.

Lagos, Nigeria
8 comments
Level 7

Re: How I Spent My Weekend @ Freedom Park, Broad Street, Lagos, Nigeria

Nice post @tajmao

Hoping to enjoy the weekend just like you

Level 8

Wow , what an amazing experience you had . And i must say a beautiful write up too. 

Is it a place that one can visit anytime or its until there is an event or show that one can have such kind of access that you had to the place? 

Thanks for sharing; 

Level 10

I'm moved! I passed here so many times and nearly entered on one of the meet-ups hosted around here @Sagir's. I'm coming this time! 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Connect Moderator

Hi @tajmao

What a great experience. 

I agree with you freedom park is an amazing place to chill out from hustling and bustling of Lagos.

It is full of history and the environment is superb.

How I wish your could share some pictures of your experience with us.

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Former Google Contributor

Wow, @Sagir, I just thought the same thing! Thank you for suggesting sharing some photos. The description of the festival is so majestic that I'm super curious now to see it. 

@tajmao if you are interested you can check out What makes a good post? You can also go through this really amazing Great Photography Tutorial / How To / Tips Collection. by @LudwigGermany. He has collected a lot of useful information about everything related to contributing photos on Maps, 360 Degree, Food, Indoor, Outdoor and Building Photography and also Sharing in Social Channels. 5 tips to take stunning photos on your phone from a Local Guide Level 8 I think you will find very useful.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Thank you @Sagir @IrrPavlova. My phone crashed with over 40 pictures that i would have uploaded with the post. I felt that i shouldn't let that deter me from putting it up and that's why i wrote the post. Maybe i should delete it pending when i have a fresh set of pictures

Level 7

it is opened to everyone and at everytime @AguerO During festival season (when events are being held) entry is free but during the non-festival period, its N200 to enter. They have weekly events you can attend or just enter and eat in the food court.

Level 8

OK,  thanks for the info.