Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Hospital & Care center tour

Hospital & Care center tour

Unity Fountain Abuja

1136 Shehu Shagari Way, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria

November 29, 2018 @ 09:00 (WAT)

In association with the campaign against sexual and gender-based violence in the country, we want this meetup to be part of what brings the platform of the local guides program to the people telling them how the program and its local guides can contribute to helping victims. The major activity of the day, during the campaign, will be letting people know how the use of google maps will help them get help as fast as possible by navigating to the nearest help center. Also we will be editing the map with accurate information on hospitals, care centers as well as police station. This is a passionate one for me and i hope people get involved too

RSVP here

Love for Food and Landscape photography
1136 Shehu Shagari Way, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria
9 comments
Level 9

Re: Hospital & Care center tour

looking forward to it 

Level 10

This meet up was a peculiar one and a bit different from the usual for me. I decided to take the opportunity of an awareness campaign on Sexual and Gender-based violence.

At the Unity Fountain CenterAt the Unity Fountain CenterWith ZainabWith Zainab

At the start of the rally, I spoke a bit on how Google maps can be used for and by victims get help from nearby hospitals and care centres reiterating the importance of the Local Guides program. Afterwards, some statistics were mentioned to show the alarming altitude that violence has attained in the country with some cases mentioned.

Local Guides Zainab & Bitrus at the meet upLocal Guides Zainab & Bitrus at the meet up

We had an opportunity to meet with the convener of the campaign, Irene, who was glad to have Local Guides align in the way that we did. Irene is a lady that is so passionate about the less privileged. She, herself is confined to a wheelchair and told us during our session how difficult it is to get access to places and location and was happy that the LG program is pushing to highlight wheelchair accessible locations and places on google maps and will be looking out for the right hashtags for help. We just wished that @TraciC was still around in Abuja to meet with this wonderful lady.

Local Guide Zainab with Irene.Local Guide Zainab with Irene.

Quite touching so much that I have decided to do all I can to raise the awareness myself. 

I believe that if Hospitals and care centres are created on maps and their details constantly made up to date, victims will be able to get help as quickly as they need it. I also believe that with the right hashtags on reviews that we make on maps, we can help them get the most precise attention they need. This will help manage the event of stigmatisation and fear by increasing the belief that care can be accessed and should be. 

With IreneWith IreneDRC-7853.jpg

Updating information of Hospitals and care centres seems like an onerous task but it can be done, one hospital, pharmacy, etc at a time. I am glad to have partnered with @Zainabzy_ to make this a THING as a campaign for HEALTH. Thanks to all who showed up and thank you to @U-royFelixA for the inspiration as always.

Level 6

@bassey In all honesty, the pleasure is all mine. Thank you for extending the invitation. 

It was so inspiring to see that such magnitude of youths are concerned and willing to join in  abhorring the practise of violence against women. And I am glad to participate as not just a Sexual & Reproductive Rights advocate but also a Local Guide! 😃

Kudos to you!

Cheers,
Zainab!
Level 10

@bassey and @Zainabzy_ This is really commendable with a strong message. Nice one guys and very colorful too. 

Level 6

@U-royFelixA #OrangeTheWorld 😊

Cheers,
Zainab!
Former Google Contributor

Thank you for sharing and for caring so much, @bassey. Make sure we see a recap. I can't want to see how it goes.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

It was quite emotional at some point. @Zainabzy_

Level 10

Thank you @U-royFelixA. Wish you were there too.

Level 10

Thank you too for your kind words @IrrPavlova