TheEagleEye's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Hobbiton

I've been to Hobbiton three times, firstly to see it myself with my daughter, then again after it was fixed up, and then again to take friends.

When I first went, all the house fronts were missing because the owner of the farm didn't have permission from the movie producers to have them remain after The Lord of the Rings was filmed. So Hobbiton was just a place to visit the site only.

When Peter Jackson wanted to film The Hobbit movies, the farmer insisted that the film set will remain after filming. So what you see today is a beautiful place to visit. It is really a great place to visit and it looks exactly like it did for the movies.

You can have something to eat and even a beer, at the Green Dragon Inn.

I hope you get there one day. I recommend this for your visit to New Zealand, you won't be disappointed.

See Google Maps here https://goo.gl/maps/uxVaREmJiSx and video here https://youtu.be/5JrKThVnjso

The Green Dragon InnThe Green Dragon Inn

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Hobbiton Movie Set, Matamata, New Zealand
5 comments
Level 8

Re: Hobbiton

I agree, its one of the must-visit places especially if you are an LOTR fan!  I visited this place last April and was just so amazed. Loved the greenery and the little Hobbit holes!

HobbitCollage.jpg

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TheEagleEye,

Thanks for sharing your photo from Hobitton Movie Set.

I'm really happy to see it and I would love to visit it one day. Any travel tips you can share with me, would be really appreciated 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @vvbellur,

Nice photos! Have you been there recently or these are old photos?

Awesome place! I wish I could go there and any travel tips are more than welcome 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

@KatyaL Thank you!  I visited this place in April 2018. As New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere, April-June is considered the Fall season. Also this is in the North Island, Mata Mata, so the weather was pleasant and not cold at that time of the year.  
I actually went on an organized tour which was a full day trip. I happen to meet another solo traveller and we both ended up taking each others photos! I liked the tour because it gives you so many insights about the movie set and it just leaves you amazed. E.g. There was an artificial tree created just was the movie set and we were asked to identify it from a distance! 

I planned my entire trip just based off their website. Check it out. https://www.newzealand.com/int/ - the most user friendly travel website ever! A solo traveler's dream!

Cheers!

Hi @vvbellur,

It was very kind of you to take your time and share for me these tips! I'm really grateful!

Thanks for sharing your happy moments here! You're a real traveller 🙂

Feel free to tag me in your posts - I would be happy to follow them.