_unorthodox_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Historical Places in the Ancient city of Ibadan - Local Guide's view

One of the reasons why I'm proud of being a local guide is that I'm giving the opportunity to contribute to the development of my city.

Ibadan, Nigeria is an ancient city with lots of history. I will describe a few using pictures:

COCOA HOUSE

Completed in 1965.Completed in 1965.20182018

Cocoa house (literately translates to "ile awon agbe" in Yoruba) was completed in 1965, 5 years after Nigeria's independence and it was built entirely from the proceeding of farm products. It was once the tallest building in west-africa as well as being the first skyscraper in Nigeria.

It's located in the central business hub of Ibadan, Dugbe; and houses over 20 offices as at January, 2019.

MAPO HALL

Mapo.jpgmapo hall.jpg

This building was built on October 5, 1929. It is notable as a centre for social events (political campaigns, wedding and burial ceremony, etc) in Ibadan. It was refurbished in 2008. The Hall is located a top Mapo hill in Ibadan, Nigeria. Tourists will be taken aback by the unique pillars of the building and the general structure.

CITY OF BROWN ROOFS

Ibadan is well known for it's signature brown-roofs dating  as far back as pre- independence. Some colonial buildings are also still in existence and tourists are usually fascinated by this.

brown roofs.JPG

These are some of the sights from Ibadan. I hope to put up another post with a more comprehensive data about strategic locations in Ibadan and it's environs.

I'm glad I've been volunteering to showcase these places on google maps since I was first introduced in 2013. Till date, I'm still mapping places, posting pictures and leaving reviews of places of interest in and around Ibadan.

I'm quite proud to be a local guide, to be able to help my community!

Funsho Arashi

Ibadan, Nigeria
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Historical Places in the Ancient city of Ibadan - Local Guide's view

@_unorthodox_ Thanks for this awesome post about Nigeria! Connect has a zero plagiarism policy and we want to be careful about using images we don't own. For any images you've used, please credit where they're from if they're not your own. 

On another note: I have loved the Nigerian Local Guides I've met so far! Such nice and wonderful people. Do you know @EmekaUlor? He is always planning meet-ups in Nigeria! 

Connect Moderator

Re: Historical Places in the Ancient city of Ibadan - Local Guide's view

Hi Funsho, @_unorthodox_ nice to read a post from a Local Guide in Ibadan. Quite true about the cocoa house and the progress across Nigeria those times. 

It will be faboulous to see your photos of current landmarks around the city.

Also remember to give credit to owners of photos you post, as @brittym advised.

Do let me know if you would live to join the Nigeria Whatsapp group for regular updates on meetups and general information.

Cheers

Emeka