Zaid_Irfan_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Highest Paved International Border Crossing In The World

A Chinese flag flutters on the gate like building at Khunjerab Pass.A Chinese flag flutters on the gate like building at Khunjerab Pass.

Khunjerab Pass is located in Karakoram mountains in a strategic position on the north border of Pakistan (Gilgit Baltistan's Hunza and Nagar districts) and on the southwest border of China(the Xinjiang region) . The Khunjerab Pass is the highest crossing border in the world and the highest point of the dramatic Karakoram Highway, which someone called an "Eighth Wonder of the World". Karakoram Highway near Khunjerab Pass,GB.Karakoram Highway near Khunjerab Pass,GB.

Khunjerab Pass is a high mountain pass on the northern border of Pakistan with China, at an elevation of 4, 693m (15, 397ft) above the sea level. For comparison, Mount Blanc, the tallest mountain in the Western Europe, is 4,810m and Mount Whitney, the highest point in the 48 contiguous United States, is 4,421m.Road to China at Khunjerab Top at the height of 15,397 ft.Road to China at Khunjerab Top at the height of 15,397 ft.

Khunjerab Pass has been used for centuries, one branch of the Silk Road. The choice of Khunjerab Pass for Karakoram Highway was decided in 1966. This section of road was completed in 1982. On the Pakistani side, the surface of road is gravel. On the Chinese side, the surface of the road is a bad asphalt.Snow covered Khunjerab Pass.Snow covered Khunjerab Pass.

Khunjerab Pass, the long relatively flat pass is often snow covered during the winter season and as a consequence is generally closed for heavy vehicles from November 30 to May 1 and for all vehicles from December 30 to April 1.The first CPEC bus on its way (Lahore to Kashgar) at snowy Khunjerab Pass.The first CPEC bus on its way (Lahore to Kashgar) at snowy Khunjerab Pass.

This is one of the international borders where left-hand traffic (Pakistan administered Gilgit Baltistan) changes to right-hand traffic (China) and vice versa. Chinese truck entering Pakistan through corridor.Chinese truck entering Pakistan through corridor.

On the Pakistani side, the pass is 42km from National park station and checkpost in Dih, 75km from the immigration office in Sost and 870km from Islamabad (Capital of Pakistan). On the Chinese side, the pass is southwest terminus of China National Highway (G314) and is 130km from Tashkurgan, 442km from Kashgar and 1, 890km from Urumqi. Pakistani Check post in Dhi, 42km away from gateway.Pakistani Check post in Dhi, 42km away from gateway.

°Highest ATM In The World

Khunjerab Pass has the highest ATM in the world on the Pakistani side from the National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) and 1LINK.ATM at Khunjerab Pass.ATM at Khunjerab Pass.

°Khunjerab National Park 

Khunjerab National Park is Pakistan's third largest national park and it is adjacent to the Taxkorgan National Reserve in China. It is located just a few kilometers from the border town of Sost in Pakistan. The park was established on April 29,1975 by the  Prime Minister of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Late) on the recommendation of wildlife biologist Dr. George Schaller.A herd of playful Hamaliyan Ibex at KNP.A herd of playful Hamaliyan Ibex at KNP.

Khunjerab National Park is a home to many endangered and threatened animal species like the Snow Leopard, Marco Polo sheep and Himalayan Ibex. The primary purpose of setting up of this park was to provide protection to endangered Marco Polo sheep, which is only found in this area of Pakistan.Terrifying beauty of Snow Leopard.Terrifying beauty of Snow Leopard.

I absolutely loved it! It was one of my favorite days on the trip to north. The air was so dense. I have heard stories of how people can't breathe there and if they stay for too long they start throwing up. Naturally it was scared but thrilled to go and see it for myself. Me and my travel partner at Khunjerab Pass.Me and my travel partner at Khunjerab Pass.

Khunjerab Pass, Karakoram Highway, Pakistan