geothearch's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: High Plains Photography

Glad you enjoyed it @davidhyno and @Harpal! Thank you for dropping a note and taking a moment to enjoy the quiet with me. 

Geoffrey Havens
Level 4

16114577_10211927684648358_902908210657854536_n.jpg

Greetings from Greece! I'm a volunteer forest firefighter and I'm following a 2 years course on forest protection. This is mt Hymittos in Greece, in the east of Athens. It is a national protected area. 

Connect Moderator

Hermosas fotos las que nos compartiste @geothearch, tienes acceso privilegiado a lugares que el resto de nosotros no podemos acceder. Gracias por compartir.

Farid.

Level 6

Hello @Nickelman

Thanks for dropping a line and the work you do, (for free!) for your own countries protected spaces. I hope some day soon you'll be able to get paid for the hard work you put in. Good luck on the studies and it's good to meet a fellow ranger from the opposite side of the world. Thanks for sharing the picture as well!

Geoffrey Havens
Level 6

Thank you for the lovely compliment @FaridTDF In the United States, at least, every picture I post I try to make sure others can enjoy. They might take some effort to reach, but that's part of the fun, right? =D 

Geoffrey Havens
Google Moderator

Hi @geothearch,

Happy New Year! Thank you for sharing this beautiful sunset.

It is hard for me to capture a sunrise or a sunset the way it looks in real life. Can you recommend any special settings you are using on your camera while taking such photos?

By the way, there is an on-going thread called How is the sunrise and sunset in your city?, feel free to check it out.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Hiya @MoniDi,

Sunsets are tricky things and capturing such a landscape the way it looks in real life is a tricky thing for a couple reasons. This may be better suited for the thread you suggested, but everyone's perception of a sunset is going to very, even if they stand next to each other, so the 'perfect' sunset or sunrise is probably right out. To best capture what you see with the mk 1 eyeball, I do have a few suggestions. 

With a DSLR on manual, you're shooting a landscape and want a big F# (since we're capturing a broad scene rather than a single subject like a person). You want to shoot on a mono or tri-pod if possible to avoid shakiness and play with shutter speeds between 1/30 and 1/10 of a second. Play around with ISO settings, but lower is usually better. Lastly, stay around for the whole sunset and play around. Plan on spending 45 minutes to an hour shooting the sunset. Play with settings in each 10-15 minute period and jot down what you try and see how things turn out. The more you shoot, the better you'll become. 

Of course, getting lucky and finding a day with the high level cloud layer that makes the sky light up as the sun bounces off of it also helps. =D

Geoffrey Havens
Google Moderator

Hey @geothearch,

Great advice, thank you! Very helpful.

As a beginner, I've heard that the best way to start is by using the aperture priority or manual mode. I am still trying not to mix up the small and big F numbers but that is just me being bad at math. 🙂

I will try to play with the different settings, especially the shutter speed. I am learning about that, too. As far as the ISO goes, I guess the best would be around 100 to 400 at the maximum to reduce the noise in the photo.

You are right about spending 45 minutes to an hour just shooting at the sunrise/sunset. I have a recent example from yesterday, where I took 4 or 5 photos of the sunrise every 1 to 2 minutes and each one of them was different. Nature is amazing!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Happy to pass along my amateur experiences as well @MoniDi. Easy way to remember the aperture basics is that you want a small number for a specific subject, and a bigger number for a bigger scene. Out of curiosity, what do you shoot with? 

Geoffrey Havens
Google Moderator

Hi @geothearch,

A very good tip, indeed. I just bought my new DSLR camera Nikon D3500. Again, I've heard it is good for beginner photographers like me.