catwu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Help us ask better questions on Google Maps

It's not only for Nigeria. This irrelevant question also faced most of the countries. Hope google map will ask better questions next updates.

@catwu Thank you for highlighted this problem in this community.

Level 10

Bonjour @catwu

Quelle question ne vous semble pas juste?Screenshot_2017-11-20-20-09-07.png

Quel endroit? 

Borne de recharge de véhicules électriques
60250 Place Pierre Semard, 60250 Mouy

https://goo.gl/maps/27DvUvwh1kF2

Quel pays? France 

Quelle langue? français 

Quel est le problème avec cette question?

il ne s'agit pas d'un établissement puisque  c'est une borne installer par la commune. Il n'y a pas d'entrée puisque c'est à l'extérieur.

Comment pouvons-nous améliorer cette question? 

remplacer établissement par borne.

L'accès  étant l'extérieur sur le trottoir ne pas préciser l'entrété. 

Level 9

Hello everyone

Let me join you this post because it's really good post.

There's some questions I should mention Does this place have live musicDoes this place have live music

Does this place offer musical entertainment as will as dinnerDoes this place offer musical entertainment as will as dinner

What place: Restaurant

What country : kingdom of saudi arabia

What language : Arabic

What is the wrong with this question : in our country is Prohibited in the restaurant.

How can we improve this question :

I'd suggest not asking this question in saudi arabia. 

Cheers

Saudi local guide 

Level 9

Screenshot_20171121-074557.png

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Should "Foies grass" be foies gras? 

What place? 

UE Square

81 Clemenceau Ave, Singapore 239917
6833 2855

https://g.co/kgs/eJJgz5

What country? Singapore

What language? English

What’s wrong with this question? Spelling error

How can we improve this question? Remove the s from grass

#singaporelocalguides
Level 9

Absolutely most important question should be whether the place offers wifi and what kind? Time delimited, password given for paying guests in secure wifi etc. Set up proper subcategories. Nowadays whole city center offering free wifi. Tourists in foreign country badly need wifi
In US is unnecessary ask about toilet because every shop has free customer toilet, in Europe it is hard to find toilets. Public toilets deserve a spot on the map. Cash checks is reasonable question in US only, rest of the world not using paper checks any more.

In the long run it would be clever to ask local guides about the fee on parking lots, street parking with meter, parking houses. That could be a separate map layer answering the trivial question where do I find nearby a cheap parking spot.

Lajos J. Hajdu

@ErmesT wrote:

Thanks @catwu

For a post I was waiting for.. 

I've sent a lot of replies to explain why in my country some questions were not appropriate for the place. 

Two questions for you, before to start :

1) my app language is set to Italian. 

Do you prefere to have it translated in English? 

I have a doubt about a frequent question : does the place have an elevator for disabled? What about if the shop is at ground floor? I mean, the question is appropriate, because maps may not be informed about the floor but, which is the right answer? If I write no, it seems that the place is not suitable for disability, answering yes is not correct. What about a "not needed" reply?

Ermes 

Level 5

Hi,

There are many questions which are not relevant in the Indian restaurants. For e.g.

What question doesn’t seem right to you? - Does this have a fire place?

What place? (please include a link if possible)

What country? - India

What language?

What’s wrong with this question? - India is not a cold country. So no need for fire place.

How can we improve this question?

Level 9

Just a few that I've picked up are;

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Does this place serve Indian food?

What place? KFC

What country? England

What language? English

What’s wrong with this question? Seems a redundant question for fast food outlets like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, etc which definitely don't serve Indian food.

How can we improve this question?  Maybe remove the question from the large chain fast food outlets.

As a general note, I also seem to get asked "Does this place have a parking lot or structure?" for business which is inside a business park.  And Google Maps knows that these places are in the business park as in the Maps timeline it shows places that I have made x number of stopes in the park.

Capture.PNG

You can see here that Maps is aware that the business park is Clifton Moor, and that Tesco and Greggs are located within.

So it would be more efficient if the question was only asked about the business park or shopping center/mall and then it automatically applied to all the business within.

Emu The Bird (James)
Connect Moderator

@catwu, @HelloSamsonR

The same here in Germany. Supermarkets never offer passport photograph services here. The question is not relevant.

But photo printer services are offered often by drugstores and sometimes by supermarkets. This is where you can print your photos from smartphone or stick and get paper photos. This could be a more relevant question.

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 10

Hi @catwu 

Super incentive to make everything we do a little better for you, for all the Google Maps teams, the Google Local Guides Googlers, the Google Local Guides Connect moderators and everyone around the world. It is an excellent idea to be able to contribute more in improving the Google Maps Local Guides Review questions in any way that can help others make their business better and so improve the ease required to make everything business a pleasant experience. Superb.

Being part of the fun Google family experience in assisting others making life easier is supreme! Contributing in every little way makes a huge difference and that is why we all do what we do! The questions about businesses now are already a great help to make a difference with many different areas including accessibility. Helping to add any extra features and or functions that will help the Google teams, especially the Google Maps teams is where we can help our local businesses even more, so many thanks for allowing us even more involvement in the whole process. Thank you.

It is great to be part of the fun! Shine on everyone!

Lets do this @AlejandraMaria , @SarahKa , @BudionoS , @BishowvijayaP , @Osaka78forTRUMP , @SalmaanN , @SovitaD ,

Cheers

@Justine2807

@catwu wrote:

If you have location history enabled on Google Maps, you’ve probably come across questions like this one:
Screenshot from Google Maps asking “Is there table service here?” about a cafe.Screenshot from Google Maps asking “Is there table service here?” about a cafe.

When you answer these questions, you’re sharing info that’s useful to everyone who navigates on Google Maps. Some questions, like the ones about wheelchair accessibility, can even help people with mobility needs get around.

We try to ask smart, relevant questions about places all around the world, but we know we can always do better. That’s why, until 12/1, we’re asking for your local expertise.

Here’s how you can help improve questions on Google Maps:

• Go to “Your contributions” on Google Maps for Android or iOS
  • Tap “Answer quick questions”
  • If you see one that doesn’t make sense in your country or language, post a comment like this one on this post:

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Does this place serve afternoon tea?

What place? Starbucks

What country? U.S.

What language? English

What’s wrong with this question? It’s confusing. This place serves tea in the afternoon, but most places in the U.S. don’t serve anything called “afternoon tea.”

How can we improve this question? I’d suggest asking this only in the U.K.

You can copy and paste this template for your comment:

What question doesn’t seem right to you?

What place? (please include a link if possible)

What country?

What language?

What’s wrong with this question?

How can we improve this question?

We’ll be collecting feedback until 12/1. After that, you can still add questions to this post, but we won’t be able to reply.

Thanks for helping improve Maps for people all around the world!

Level 10

@MiaMaria

Eco friendly, recycle are better questions along with cleanliness and global warming  being the need of the time and how LG could contribute any way for it positively

jojo