catwu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Help us ask better questions on Google Maps

@ErmesT

I understand it. But I'm aware that it should be noticed directly in @catwu first post in the thread (in the template section)

because people usually don't read all the posts in the thread, especially in the feedback collecting thread.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Former Google Contributor

Updated, appreciate the feedback JacekNK!

Level 10

In a recent news article i read where Google Maps is redesigning App and color coding categories for POIs  

Level 10

Level 10

Excellent, thanks for getting the feedback from us @catwu! I am still confused between the premise of Googlers vs Google Moderators, but I will leave that for another time.

Here are a few questions that do not make sense to me for your feedback. Note that all of these questions are in Australia and in English too.

Does this place serve vegetarian food only? - All restaurants and some cafes

Out of all the times that I have approached this question, I have only answered this question twice as 'yes'. There is an extreme niche market of vegan/vegetarian foods, but that's maybe because I haven't been around the health-centric places like Surry Hills or Waterloo or something like that.

All the wheelchair questions. - For any listing

If the question "Is this place have a wheelchair accessible/friendly entrance or just generally friendly" is answered as no, it should further not ask any other questions, such as having a wheelchair elevator, wheelchair seating or even wheelchair parking. Furthermore the order I usually have when it starts asking these questions usually asks if it has wheelchair-friendly parking first. If there's no entrance nor if it's friendly, it should not prompt the other questions. Also I would like these bundled up and answered together, instead of answering one wheelchair question on question number 2 and then another one in question 16, and another on question 37, you get the gist. I think that's how it is at the moment?

Is this place usually crowded vs Is this place usually quiet? - Most food eateries

There are some places that are not actually restaurants (that have their own designated seating areas, for example food court tenants or food trucks). I don't know where I was going with that statement but I sometimes I get asked both questions for the same place. I think there should be a spectrum, five levels ranging from Mostly quiet - Usually quiet, average, Usually crowded, Mostly crowded. Of course this might defeat the purpose of having simple 'Yes and No' answers but...

Does this place sell [INSERT ITEM HERE]? - Supermarkets and Shopping Malls

I think these questions should not be individual yes or no questions and more of a "Describe their selection of products/goods" elsewhere.

I guess that's all I have for now. I want to submit feedback for the questions format (not the silly ones users make prolifically) but that will be in another post. Especially when it comes to fat fingers tapping the wrong response or just the way they're asked.

Thanks again for the opportunity for such.

Level 8

Hi family.

Shared in G+ Brazilian local Guides community.

And, in Portuguese language Forum.

Best regards from Brazil!

Level 6

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Does have small plate or tapas

What country? Thailand

What language? English

What’s wrong with this question? 

Thailand don't use word tapas. I cannot think any word in Thai language that similarly to it.

How can we improve this question?I

In Thailand, Maybe use word "snack" instead.  Or just cut the word tapas out.

----------

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Does have happy hour food

What’s wrong with this question? 

Most place don't have happy hour food. There is no such thing in our culture.

How can we improve this question?

Don't ask this question in Thailand.

----------

What question doesn’t seem right to you? 

Does this place serve coffee  in Starbucks? Does this place have fast service or offer take out at Mc Donald?

My Suggestion 

Should have algorithm that sort it out for very obvious question for big food chain store. 

Level 9

I don't have a suggestion but I would like to propose a question to the Q&A section.

"Is this place eco-friendly?" 

or

"Does this place recycle?"

I think these are very important questions in terms of environment and sustainability.
We need to raise awareness for both topics!

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 8

Hi @catwu 

Is there any way we can embed this question system inside the actual question pop-up on the Maps app? e.g. replace the "I haven't been here before" language, with "Feedback about this question". That would redirect you to a Google form where the questions  you've asked below are fields to fill out. 

This'll allow you to collect a significant amount of information, still at a global scale, and in "real time" from users. It'll also make it far easier to provide this feedback - since the current process to fill out the data within the LGC requires several steps.