Kphipp's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Having reviews marked as helpful

Does anyone have any ideas for how to get a review marked as helpful? I have read the different suggestions for writing reviews. I have changed my style and tried to provide more detail and tried as well to add quality and relevant photos. Any suggestions or thoughts? 

Calgary, AB, Canada
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Having reviews marked as helpful

Share only relevant information about places, like services offered and helping mentality.

Connect Moderator

@Kphipp There's no 100% sure way of getting your reviews mark as helpful, as it can be hit and miss. The best thing for you to do is to create high quality review as good as you can. Try to have at least 4-6 paragraphs, detailing your experience from the place. Write it like you're telling a story, so that someone that has never been to the location can get an idea what's it like dealing with the business just buy reading your review. Google use certain logic and calculations to determine which reviews are shown at the top, increasing visibility, meaning more chances to get your reviews marked as helpful. I say, don't think too much about it, and just focus on writing a good review. Sooner or later you will get the marks 🙂

Level 7

Don't be put off if your reviews aren't marked as helpful. Most people who read the reviews get what the need and then move on. That's just the way it is.

Ask yourself:

• what would have helped you decide whether or not to visit the business/location?
  • anything surprise you (good or bad)?
  • any tips on logistics like making reservations, finding the address or finding parking?

Try to:

• Post photos that provide information. For example a photo of the store front helps people spot it from street if it's difficult to find.
  • Compare to alternatives. For example compare the coffee to other cafes in the area.
  • Avoid posting for the sake of posting (when Google Maps nag you) when you really don't have an opinion one way or another. It can be obvious to the reader.

Level 8

What is the meaning of write review that are marked as helpful?

Level 6

I have the same issue. I have followed the same advice mentioned already without much luck. I have tried changing my style and it hasn't made a difference.  In fact, I looked at the reviews that have been marked and they dont have anything in common.  One review was simply "It was good" and got marked as helpful.

One of the problems is people only read reviews before they go somewhere and not after.  Once they've been to their destination and had their fun, whether your review was helpful or not, they are not likely to back and retrospectively mark your review as helpful.

I think a good idea is to be automatically sent to "other reviews" once you have finished writing your own review.  

Level 6

Not receiving positive feedback from users that appreciate my effort writing reviews via a "marked as helpful" button, completely demotivated to continue reviewing.

What do you all think?