Have you tried this Fried Crickets? 😁

Fried CricketsFried Crickets

Chiang Mai, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Have you tried this Fried Crickets? 😁

@Diana_umbat

Thanks for sharing this post with us.

Could you please elaborate more on this delicacy? I have seen people relishing it while I visited Thailand. But wanted to hear more about it prior trying it out.

Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 8

Hi, for my personal opinion, the taste was good. This is my 2nd time tried this, before was at Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Becareful when you choose the seller or try it, where i think they recycle the cooking oil many times and make the taste worst. We have tried it with white bread + salads, noodles, biscuits. The taste was good. 😋👍 But, different people, different feedback and different taste too. Should ask other people opinion too.

Level 8

Cool shot @Diana_umbat !  These are eaten regularly, mostly in rural Congo.  I must admit that they are much better when deep fried crunchy.  I was not so keen on the roasted ones as the inside was still a bit gooey.  Below is a photo of some kids who were selling crickets on the banks of the Congo river.  They catch them by making a noose with the end of a long grass stem and then when they hear chirping from a hole in the sand they wiggle the grass down the hole until they get a cricket tangled in the end and pull it up out of the hole. 

Crickets for sale

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Diana_umbat,

I have never tried this myself. I am very curious to try them though. I think @NadyaPN tried them when she visited Thailand.

@Aruni did you try there being native to Thailand?

@Nick-Hobgood this photo is great! Did you take it yourself? The story you shared is super interesting as well.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators

Thank you for sharing this photo with us. @Diana_umbat What else have you tried eating some strange Thai foods? 

@GeorgesHR The one as you asking I never tried it, but I have tried to eat pupa is delicious. I can share with you also one of my photo of pupa from Thailand.

Caption: A photo of pupa in Thailand (Local Guide @Aruni)Caption: A photo of pupa in Thailand (Local Guide @Aruni)

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Deep fried grasshopperDeep fried grasshopper

Quail eggs with coconut milkQuail eggs with coconut milk

@Aruni have you tried the grasshopper? Pretty good too.

Wow, @Diana_umbat many things you have tried. I never eat a grasshopper, How is the taste? Do you like it? But I love the second one the name is Khanom khrok is a traditional Thai dessert. Is very popular in Thailand.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thanks @GeorgesHR ! Yes I took this photo when I was working in Congo during which time I went on a boat ride on the Congo river and ran into these fellows.  Nick

Level 8

Hi @GeorgesHR I forgot to add that not only crickets but grasshoppers, caterpillars, termites and palm grubs are found on the menu in Congo 🙂