SoniaK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Happy Ramadan

I started fasting even before roza was farz (compulsory) for me. As a kid, when I wanted to fast, my mother would tell us, it’s okay for kids like you to keep 3 fasting a month- the very first one, the one on the lailatul qadr and the last one. But I wouldn’t listen. I always found it very fascinating when I saw how drastically the routine life changed for the better during Ramadan. The excitement would start when we eagerly looked forward to the good news of sighting of the new moon of Ramadan. It was so uncertain! Nobody could tell in advance if it was going to be the beginning of Ramadan the next day or not, until we saw the crescent in the sky.

The sehri, the meal that we had right before the dawn, to start our fasting, used to be very brief and light, yet yummy. The only torture that we, as kids, felt was to wake up so early morning to eat and pray. But I feared, if I make it a fuss, mom wouldn’t allow me to fast, so I would wake up sometimes even before she was up and would wake her up for sehri.

The following day would be very exciting. We would do play less, pray more and recite from the Quran. At the middle of the day, I would feel terribly hungry, the thirst would sometimes make my tongue twisted and my lips would get dry. But yet, I pretended I was just fine, as any of the adults of the house. I needed to be the one to score top in terms of the number of fasting among all my friends in school.

And finally, when my most favorite time of the day arrived, we would all sit at the table, with all homemade food and glasses full of chilled water and sherbet and dates, and would wait for the azaan from the mosque. Finally we would break our fast. And the instant reward that we got for fasting was, mom would always cook something special especially for us, because we fasted. What lovely days we had back then!

Just read a funny, yet very true statement about Bangalis’ eating style the other day. As Bengalis, we are exemplary food lovers that no one can beat. Our days start and end with eating. We love to eat. Amra pani khai (we EAT water), amra batash khai (we EAT air), amra cigarette khai (we EAT cigarette), amra daowat khai (we EAT invitation), amra habudubu khai (we EAT helplessness in water). And we don’t just stop there. Amra manusher matha khai (we EAT people’s head, meaning we make people go crazy), amra bhoy khai (we EAT fear), amra polti khai (we EAT sides, meaning we change sides), amra mar khai (we EAT beating)…..and the list goes on. So you see, despite all these eating habits, it’s not an easy job to not EAT for an entire day. Yet, we do it for the whole month. Religiously.

Jokes apart, roza or fasting is a religious practice that every Muslim (or at least most of them) follows. You are not allowed to eat or drink (or even smoke) from dawn to dusk. You are advised to be nice with everybody, speak softly, not to tell lies, not to cheat with others, donate more, and share with others during this month- so that you can get purified to be a better person for the rest of the year. It was not too long ago (I think in 2016) when a Japanese scientist, Yoshinori Ohsumi, won the Noble prize for his research on fasting that he nicely named as Autophagy. Autophagy means consumption of the body’s own tissue as a metabolic process occurring in starvation and certain diseases. You will find a lot of articles and videos in internet about Autophagy. Wikipedia has also described it nicely in here. In short, what the Muslims have started to follow thousands years back is now proven to be beneficial for us.

Well, I have not started this post to talk about religion. I just wanted to wish you all a Happy Ramadan! I know I am late, but I just didn't want to be the one not to spread the good news of sharing. Let us all spread out the generosity of Ramadan by sharing whatever we have, with the less fortunate ones. Let us be better human. Let us all hope for a beautiful world tomorrow. Autophagy or fasting, let our bodies get free from all the toxins and help us be healthy and shine.

Ramadan Mubarak!

The sight of the crescent from our terrace. My brother shared the picture with me from DhakaThe sight of the crescent from our terrace. My brother shared the picture with me from Dhaka

17 comments
Level 8

Re: Happy Ramadan

Happy Ramadan @SoniaK

Greetings from Nepal

Namaste, Niraj

Level 9

Happy Ramadan @SoniaK.

Have a great weekend ahead. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

Happy Ramadan to you @SoniaK and all of my muslim friends here in connect.

Level 8

Thanks @SoniaK for sharing. Happy Ramadan Kareem.

Level 10

Hi @SoniaK

Great story, especially the sentences from Bengali language, every thing is for eating, even the cigarettes 😁😁😁

Thank you for the thread,

Ramadan Mubarak

Connect Moderator

Happy Ramadan @SoniaK

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Ramadan in connect not started until @SoniaK share one of her heart touching stories 🙂

happy Ramadan :)))

Level 10

Level 10

Happy Ramadhan to you and family, Sonia. In Malaysia, we have iftar and then prayers with family. The spirit of Ramadhan is felt when we cook, eat and pray together, sometimes in the mosques. Many neighborhoods, companies, schools form volunteer groups to make Ramadhan a meaningful time for everyone. We always make a extra portion and share the food or give alms to the poor.  Actually it is the best time to train ourselves to be kind and patient to others. There are people in this world with nothing to eat, no money, no education, no medicine and live in constant fear. So we pray extra hard for them to be relieved any hardship they may encounter.

My family and I welcome Ramadhan every year. It is the best month of the year, actually. Our doors are open to anyone, regardless of their religion to come and have iftar meal with us... no matter how little it is . We never care what "color" that person is as it is only pigments in the skin, NEVER a way to measure a human being. As Kofi Annan says...“We may have different religions, different languages, different colored skin, but we all belong to one human race. We all share the same basic values.”

And so on this special month, I send light, love and happy thoughts to everyone in LG. Peace. 

Assalamulaikum ( Peace be upon you )