Jesi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Happy Jewish New Year! ✡️

Hello everyone!
Buenos Aires, as well as Argentina, is very diverse. There are many communities that mix the Argentinian culture with their own. In the City of Buenos Aires, there are Armenians, Coreans, Japanese, Jews, and more, and the governors of the city encourage events to celebrate these diversity. The events often have stands with traditional food, and a stage where more about the culture is showcased.

Rosh Hashanah, which  literally means "head (of) the year" is the Jewish new year. It marks the first and second day of the Hebrew calendar, this year it started on the 9th of September and will finish on the 11th, marking the start of the year 5779!

A week earlier, the 2nd of september, an event was held in the park Eastern Republic of Uruguay because of Rosh Hashanah. There were stands selling books, handcrafts, sweets and Jewish or Middle East food. And some games to play and meet other people too. It wasn't organized by the city, but was sponsored by it.

Caption: Some stands with food, and a communal table in the background.Caption: Some stands with food, and a communal table in the background.Caption: More stands with food, people buying, and other people lining up to buy.Caption: More stands with food, people buying, and other people lining up to buy.

There were kids from Jewish schools giving apples with honey to everyone, a traditional mix of food to eat in the Jewish new year as they symbolize a sweet start of the year.Caption: A red apple and a sealed packet of honey.Caption: A red apple and a sealed packet of honey.

There were also small acts to enjoy while people ate their food, I was there when the first show started: a Youth Orchestra organized by an institution called AMIA.

Caption: the Orchestra getting ready on stage while the presenter interviews two girls who distribute apples and honeyCaption: the Orchestra getting ready on stage while the presenter interviews two girls who distribute apples and honey

Of course, I had to get something to eat, I thought about a bagel, a pastrami sandwich, a shawarma or a kebab with falafels. I ended up opting for the last one, which was a great choice.

Caption: A pita bread filled with falafels, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbages and more.Caption: A pita bread filled with falafels, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbages and more.

This was my second time eating falafels, the first time was some months ago after reading in many posts that so many Local Guides loved them. This time they were served and tasted very differently and, to be honest, they were a lot better than from the first place I had them. If I could I would eat falafels from that place every day, but it's a shame that they don't have a store.

So, it was a successful event! It wasn't too big but in other parts of the park there was a organized walk for women, and a place to leave donations.

You can click here to see more photos and videos of the event (including the act of the Orchestra an...

As my family is Jewish, this Sunday my grandmother hosted a dinner to celebrate Rosh Hashanah, where I ate more traditional food:

• Apples dipped in honey
  • Round Challah, bread dipped in honey, that symbolizes a sweet round year
  • Lekach, a honey cake. Like the apples dipped in honey, they symbolize a sweet new year.
  • Gefilte fish, a dish made from a mixture of deboned fish. Fish symbolize abundance and prosperity.

Many foods that with different symbolisms can be eaten these days, and others, like ones with sour taste, are avoided.Caption: Dishes with sliced apples, honey, a round challah and slices of lekachCaption: Dishes with sliced apples, honey, a round challah and slices of lekach

Caption: Gefilte fish with two slices of carrot on the top, served with an egg, potato and onion salad.Caption: Gefilte fish with two slices of carrot on the top, served with an egg, potato and onion salad.

Thank you for reading! I wish a happy Jewish New Year to everyone who celebrates it.

If you know someone who is Jewish and want to wish them a happy new year, you can also tell them these phrases:
"Shanah tovah", which is like saying: Have a good year
"Shanah tovah u’metuka", which is the same as: Have a good and sweet year.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
31 comments
Level 10

Re: Happy Jewish New Year! ✡️

Hi @Jesi 

Happy Jewish New Year to you and LGs friends. Beautiful photos of celebration and get together.

Happy Photo Shooting !!

Vijay Desai.

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Wonderful post @JesiShanah tovah u’metuka!

Never knew about eating apples and honey to celebrate Rosh Hashanah. Makes perfect sense!

@ErmesT @FaridTDF @SoniaK @brittym @TraciC, I know you will enjoy this wonderful Happy Jewish New Year’s post from Jesi.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

Hi @Jesi,

Thanks a lot for sharing the party you went to for the Jewish New Year.

I have never tried falafels and your picture is giving the desire to taste it now.

It was great to discover a bit of your world !

Wishing you an Happy Jewish New Year 😉

Jul

Former Google Contributor

I have always enjoyed being invited to the Jewish celebrations of friends, including bat mitzvahs, Rosh Hashanah, and Hanukkah. But I have to say one holiday that I particularly love is Yom Kippur. I love the concept of taking the time to reach out to anyone you may have wronged, apologize, and rekindle relationships. Yom Kippur is coming up September 18-19. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you, @KarenVChin! I'm glad you liked it.

@Julien44 Thank you! The same thing that happened to me is happening to you, I saw lots of photos here that made them look really good. I hope you do try them someday 🙂

@brittym it's nice that you enjoy Jewish celebrations, Yom Kippur is a very special day and I like it too. Thank you for sharing more about Jewish celebrations with everyone ☺️

Level 8

Happy Jewish New Year @Jesi

Greetings from Nepal !!

I am sure you enjoyed alot. The celebration of festival looks awesome aloon with the happy faces.

The food look tasty 😍😍,i wish i could taste it.

Once again Happy Jewish New Year to you and your family family.

Namaste 🇳🇵🇳🇵

Niraj

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Dear @Jesi

thank you for sharing this post. I think it is related to Rosh Hashanah . 

I‘m very happy to hear about your diversity in Argentinia, as I believe that diversity is the key for peace in the world.

I‘m happy that you did enjoy the New Year event. I may be wrong, but I’m Europe the Jewish New Year starts yesterday afternoon and will be to Tuesday.

I pray for my Jewish friends, as there believe is the base for my Christian trust in God.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r