Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Halloween / Samhain at Derry, Ireland

Les LuminéolesLes Luminéoles

LED Hula HoopLED Hula Hoop

Luke Jerram's Museum of the MoonLuke Jerram's Museum of the Moon

God and Dog watching the paradeGod and Dog watching the parade

The Halloween celebrations in Derry-Londonderry are reputedly the biggest in Europe, and as we had friends there we had to visit. Waking the Wall celebrations began 3 nights before Halloween itself, and each night a host of costumed performers brought to life Samhain traditions and Gaelic mythology along the most complete city walls in Europe, all leading up to the final night's parade and fireworks.

Our own Halloween costumes this year took inspiration from Preacher as we went as God and Dog. If you thought something that sacrilegious would be problematic in this previously troubled Northern Irish border town, you'd be wrong, and you'd be missing out on a proud and warm Derry welcome.

Derry, Londonderry, UK
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Halloween / Samhain at Derry, Ireland

A very colourful celebration @deadmanjones thanks for sharing.

Level 1

Nice place

Former Google Contributor

Hi @deadmanjones,

Welcome to Connect.

Thank you for sharing your photos. It seems like you had a great time! How was food there? Was it really crowded?

Why not add more details and share a bit more about your experience? Posts with more content and good photos have a good chance of being featured or chosen for a Friday Favorite post. By the way, you can check the favorite posts from the previous week.

Since you're new to the community, you might want to share a bit about yourself and get to know others in our monthly Introduce Yourself topic. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @deadmanjones,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I have never been on a real Halloween party. Would you offer this as a first try for me?

I hope you had a great time there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

@Petra_M To be honest, I don't know anywhere else in Europe that treats Halloween as a festival, certainly not in the official way Derry does. There wasn't an increase in travel and accommodation costs, so if you want to visit Northern Ireland I'd make the end of October the time to go for sure

Hi @deadmanjones,

Thank you for your reply! Did you know that by writing @ before my name I will, or any other user, will receive a notification and know that you are trying to communicate with me or them directly.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@VasT thanks! I do now.

Thanks for your reply @deadmanjones.

I`ll think about your advice and figure out how I can visit this famous party.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 3

nice