DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Haedong Yonggungsa, Busan's temple by the sea

During my travels, I have visited a lot of temples before. From Angkor Wat in Cambodia to temples in Taiwan and Japan, each of them is unique in their own way. With that being said, not many of them are located by the sea, which makes the temple that I am about to mention really special.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 14.42.26.jpeg

Located near the outskirts of Busan, Korea, Haedong Yonggungsa was built by a monk so that sea can "meet" with the mountains. Despite seeing countless temples before in my travels, I must admit that I was blown away by the view. As I descended down the stone staircase leading to the temple complex, the way that the sea breeze and blue waters greeted me instilled a sense of peace and calm over me.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 14.42.27 (9).jpeg

While the temple layout itself is quite simple, there is only one cafe and one main prayer hall with a couple more smaller praying places, the scenery more than made up for the trip. I found myself simply admiring and soaking in the atmosphere. There is something about the sea that makes you want to sit back and just relax.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 14.42.28 (5).jpeg

I definitely enjoyed my time here. Climbing up and down the different parts of the temple was quite fun and I really loved the sea view. It adds to the beauty of the temple and the monk who founded the temple really knew how to pick a spot. The pictures taken here are just beautiful. 

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 14.42.28 (3).jpeg

You can only visit the temple via bus from Busan though and the journey takes about an hour plus from Haeundae. There are food stalls and restaurants outside the temple for the hungry. Would strongly recommend visiting this place as it gives off a different vibe compared to the usual temples site.

What are some of your memorable religious sites visit? Do share them here!

Korea
14 comments
Level 10

Re: Haedong Yonggungsa, Busan's temple by the sea

Hi @DoriyaKiz

Very nice photos and shared wonderful information about temples.

Vijay Desai.

Connect Moderator

Dear @DoriyaKiz,

very nice post! I like places where people can find to themselve and try to find a deeper truth in their life.

My favorite place in Germany is here:

Wieskirche
Wies 12, 86989 Steingaden
https://goo.gl/maps/cmqXj4aqn5M2

As well impressive for people who are not Christians. Look the impressive pictures on Google Maps!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Thanks @TorM and @VijayDesai! Appreciate the comments!

Level 9

Very nice photos @DoriyaKiz thank you for sharing your travel story with us.

Former Google Contributor

All those photos are mesmerizing @DoriyaKiz. By reading your post I feel like learning so much about South Korea. Maybe you could add some captions to the photos that you uploaded so everyone could know more about the places that you are sharing?

This year I also traveled to Cambodia and visited the ancient Angkor Wat temple. I am really curious to learn more and more about your travels and see the world the way you saw it.

Maybe some other Local Guides have also visited some of those beautiful Asian places @Eire27@Ludinel-Bg@helga19?

What about you @FaridTDF, 你呢 @YK1001?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Asia es para mi todo un desafío @TsekoV, todavía muy lejano, por un lado está muy lejos de donde vivo y Segundo no sé todavía por donde empezar, supongo que comenzaría por China o Taiwán, son lugares que me atraen mucho , luego Malasia, pero no sé realmente, el tiempo lo dirá 🙂

saludos Farid.

Connect Moderator

Que hermos post el que nos compartiste @DoriyaKiz, fotos muy lindas, después de leerlo, quede con muchas ganas de visitar esa parte del mundo.

saludos Farid

Level 8

You have to start with Hong Kong, @FaridTDF.

Then on your way back, you can stop by in Taiwan.

Former Google Contributor

As @YK1001 suggests you should really combine all those places. It is totally worth it @FaridTDF

The only place I have been in Hong Kong so far is at the airport, this year I was travelling and had 5-6 hours of time go to and see the world famous Victoria Bay but due to airplane delay I couldn't get out of the airport.

Really looking one day to be having the opportunity to be Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!