NirajBhusal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

HARITALIKA TEEJ , WOMEN'S FESTIVAL IN NEPAL

Hartalika Teej (हरितालिका तीज), in short Teej, is the fasting festival celebrated by women all over Nepal. Teej is traditionally dedicated to the Goddess Parvati,  remembering her union with Lord Shiva. It generally falls in late August or early September (Nepali Bhadra Month).

This year it's today i.e.  September 12, 2018 (Nepali Date: Bhadra 27, 2075) and we have a public holiday today in Nepal whereas in Government Offices it's holiday for women only. 

Teej lasts for three days, including enjoying a grand feast, observing a rigid fasting, praying to Lord Shiva, bathing in the holy river along with performing some traditional activities.  

On this festival, women wear Red Dress (Red Saree, Red Tika, Red Bangles) and gather together to sing and dance in Folk songs / Teej songs (You can find plenty of songs on Youtube if you search for Teej Songs ). 

Three Days of Teej Festival is divided into following parts:

Dar (Fancy Dinner) Day: Daar Khane Din

On this day we have a big feast that in the evening with Hearty Meal, Tasty Sweets, Nepali Foods (Khir, Dhakani and so on ) Desserts, Fruits whereas some communities prefer Non-Vegetarian food items.

Fasting Day: Main Day of Teej

On this day the women, sit for a 24-hour long fasting, where they do not eat anything neither drink a drop of water but some of them take fruits and water.

Women of all age group, young and old, dance for hours in the heat, rain, without a drop of water or food for an entire day which is really interesting to watch.  

On this very special day, Married women make a wish for longevity and prosperity of their husband whereas unmarried girls pray for a good husband by worshipping Lord Shiva.

Rishi Panchami: Holy Bath Day

This is the final day known as Rishi Panchami (Holi Bath Day) where women take bath with Red Mud and brush their teeth with Datiwan bush along with leaves hoping that it will purify their body and soul. They also worship Lord Ganesh and pay homage to seven saints before taking bath.

Here are some photos of  Today's Teej Celebration taken at Pashupatinath Temple, Kathmandu, Nepal. The celebration is going on currently and there's a huge crowd of women who have come here to worship Lord Shiva. Hope you will like these photos.

Link to full Photo Album: Teej 2075 at Pashupatinath

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8110.JPGIMG_8116.JPGWomen Worshipping a Shiva Linga StatueWomen Worshipping a Shiva Linga StatueLine of Women who are waiting to worship Lord ShivaLine of Women who are waiting to worship Lord ShivaLine of Women at Pashupatinath TempleLine of Women at Pashupatinath TempleWomen dancing aroundWomen dancing aroundIMG_8150.JPGIMG_8189.JPGIt's raining too so girls are wearing Umbrella to stay  in the lineIt's raining too so girls are wearing Umbrella to stay in the lineIMG_8216.JPGA women taking selfie in the lineA women taking selfie in the line

I enjoyed taking pictures, watching the dance activities of women at Pashupatinath, I hope you enjoyed the reading post and looking at these photos taken by me. 

Namaste, 

Niraj

Pashupatinath Temple, Pashupati Nath Road, Kathmandu, Nepal
31 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: HARITALIKA TEEJ , WOMEN'S FESTIVAL IN NEPAL

Very nice pictures bro. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pictures and information with us @NirajBhusal

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Former Google Contributor

Great interesting topic @NirajBhusal, thanks for sharing.

Very colorful photos as well.

Man are not allowed on the festival?

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 8

Thanks for quick reaching my post @GeorgesHR . I tried to capture some pics of Teej Celebration adding some information about the festival. There's no restriction for men but it's especially for women that's why on this day women go to temple for worshipping. 

Namaste,

Niraj

Level 10

Hi @NirajBhusal

Very nice post with very well taken pictures. Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing The Haritalika Teej festival and making me discovering it with you.

See you

Jul

Level 8

Level 10

Namaste @NirajBhusal

It's very nice and informative post about haritalika teej. 

Haritalika teej is also celebrated in some parts of india. The main areas of celebration are rajasthan, uttar pradesh, Uttarakhand, bihar and jharkhand. In india usually, an idol of Goddess Parvati is taken out in procession in the streets accompanied by singing, and music. 

Level 9

Interesting content @NirajBhusal and u did a beautiful photography,we learnt briefly of your HARITALIKA TEEJ WOMEN'S FESTIVAL IN NEPAL,,Thank you for sharing with us....

Connect Moderator

What a story @NirajBhusal

I simply love your photos, the atmosphere, everything.

A day for celebrating women is very important, an acknoledgement of their role in every country.

I am sure that @ValeriaA_@SoniaK@KarenVChin@Jesi@AlejandraMaria will love to read your post

Ermes