GeorgeHeym's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Guides Posting Fake Reviews for points can hurt businesses

There are several local guides who have posted fake reviews on my local Law Firm business page. How do I know this? Unlike, some businesses I know who my clients are and I know their names. Further, All 4 local guides that have posted a review in the last week or so have used the exact same text - including a mis-spelled word. It is obvious that they cut and pasted the review text - I don't know if there is some resource for local guides looking for points where they get the text of the review or what..

These local guides seem to be doing this to get points and move up levels. All 4 of these fake reviews were 5 stars - so what is the problem?

To those local guides who think that this is no big deal and they are not hurting anyone - You are wrong!

First, I am an honest business person and do not want fake reviews even if they are positive.

Second, multiple obviously fake (because of all using the same text) reviews can cause my business page to be penalized by google. This is a huge deal and can actually cost me quite a bit of money!

Third, there are ethical rules that govern attorney advertising. Using fake reviews almost certainly violates those rules and could cause me to have sanctions imposed against me professionally.

So, those of you that do this are risking my livelihood just so that you can get some points? You need to think about the consequences of your actions.

I am tagging moderators as instructed by the FAQ. I am also not posting the information on these people but will wait to hear from a moderator. @TraciC, @LuisRG, @BellaWi, @GusMoreira, @HelloJess to provide this information to them.

However, to those local guides who have done this please be aware that I will take any and all legal measures necessary to protect my business and reputation if these reviews are not removed.

Sincerely,

George Heym Esq.

13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Guides Posting Fake Reviews for points can hurt businesses

Hi @GeorgeHeym. As others have noted, this post explains how you can report content on Google Maps. It's also worth noting that the Local Guides program is for individuals and not business owners, as business owners can take advantage of Google My Business for assistance in managing their listing, including responding to reviews.

We'd be happy to take a look into the accounts you have shared, however, we will not be able to share the results of our investigation. I will send you a private message. Thank you.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Level 5

You can report any of the reviews by clicking at the right top corner showing 3 dots.google will take necessary steps.

Level 1

Thanks,

I actually have already done so. The problem is that that process is really not set up for this situation. You have to choose from several reasons for contesting the review and cannot provide factual information. I do not know who reviews those requests but they may or may not understand what is happening in this situation.

However, the mods here understand what is going on. Thus, I made this post for three reasons:

1.  Hopefully the mods here can help have these fake reviews removed;

2. The local guides that are doing this should be removed from the local guide program - leaving fake reviews just to get points completely undermines the whole point of the local guide program;

3. I wanted other local guides to know that this type of behavior is not harmless.

I have spent years getting my local business page to the number one spot for my major keywords. If this page were to be penalized it would literally cost me tens of thousands of dollars per year if not more. Guides need to be aware of this. As much as I wouldn't want to - if my business page was penalized because of this I would have no choice but to file a law suit and subpoena google to get the info regarding who those guides are in real life so that they could be held responsible for their fraudulent behavior.

Hopefully, other local guides will see this post and realize that leaving fake reviews isn't harmless and think twice before doing so.

Level 9

@GeorgeHeym in this case @JeslynL will help you more. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 1

Thanks Deep, I tagged that mod as well

Connect Moderator

Hi @GeorgeHeym

Thanks for reaching us with this very educational post. 

Unfortunately you did not tagged the Google moderator in the right way, so they will not be notified about your post. 

In any case, as @deepakjhic

Said, @JeslynL, would be ok. 

Let me add @MariaBi

And @TraciC

Googler
Solution

Hi @GeorgeHeym. As others have noted, this post explains how you can report content on Google Maps. It's also worth noting that the Local Guides program is for individuals and not business owners, as business owners can take advantage of Google My Business for assistance in managing their listing, including responding to reviews.

We'd be happy to take a look into the accounts you have shared, however, we will not be able to share the results of our investigation. I will send you a private message. Thank you.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 3

Personal experience should be effected their reviews

@GeorgeHeym wrote:

There are several local guides who have posted fake reviews on my local Law Firm business page. How do I know this? Unlike, some businesses I know who my clients are and I know their names. Further, All 4 local guides that have posted a review in the last week or so have used the exact same text - including a mis-spelled word. It is obvious that they cut and pasted the review text - I don't know if there is some resource for local guides looking for points where they get the text of the review or what..

These local guides seem to be doing this to get points and move up levels. All 4 of these fake reviews were 5 stars - so what is the problem?

To those local guides who think that this is no big deal and they are not hurting anyone - You are wrong!

First, I am an honest business person and do not want fake reviews even if they are positive.

Second, multiple obviously fake (because of all using the same text) reviews can cause my business page to be penalized by google. This is a huge deal and can actually cost me quite a bit of money!

Third, there are ethical rules that govern attorney advertising. Using fake reviews almost certainly violates those rules and could cause me to have sanctions imposed against me professionally.

So, those of you that do this are risking my livelihood just so that you can get some points? You need to think about the consequences of your actions.

I am tagging moderators as instructed by the FAQ. I am also not posting the information on these people but will wait to hear from a moderator. @TraciC, @LuisRG, @BellaWi, @GusMoreira, @HelloJess to provide this information to them.

However, to those local guides who have done this please be aware that I will take any and all legal measures necessary to protect my business and reputation if these reviews are not removed.

Sincerely,

George Heym Esq.

Level 5

I am glad you posted this. I have never posted a review on a place I haven't visited, nor will I. I think most of us Local Guides feel the same, and only post our honest opinions. It seems there are always some who want to shortcut the process, but I hope you don't think we all are that way 🙂

Dannis Cole, age 58

Only a Level 3 So Far

Level 5

I completely agree George! Fake reviews hurt everyone!,...especially the authenticity of Google guides.

I have tried numerous times to contact Google about this, but have yet to receive a single reply. What can we do, collectively, to ensure that reviews are FAIR and unbiased? 

Whether it's fake 5-star reviews or Fake 1-star reviews, it is WRONG either way!

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas for getting Google to respond to these Fake reviews??

Thank you all!! 👍👍

Loquita_Vida