jayasimha78's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Guam, Where is it? Some fun facts #StateChallenge

When Denise Barlock asked me to guest host the Guam State Challenge, even though I knew Gaum is some where is pacific ocean, I had to look up where exactly is Guam! So I had to really educate myself about Guam for this meetup, since I have never been to Guam. 

Another challenge for me is to find pictures relevant to this post, being hobbyist photographer I can easily find pictures captured by me for most #StateChallenge posts without any issue. I had to do some research on free public domain pictures of Guam and decided to create some digital art out of it.

Digital art created for this post using Photos via Good Free Photos All free photos on this site are public domain.

Moving on Where is Guam?

"Guam, island and unincorporated territory of the United States in the North Pacific Ocean, the largest, most populous, and southernmost of the Mariana Islands. It lies about 5,800 miles (9,300 km) west of San Francisco and 1,600 miles (2,600 km) east of Manila."

Capital: Hagåtña

Population: 163,000
Nickname: Island of Warriors
Key Cities: Dededo, Hagåtña, Yigo, Tamuning
Postal Abbreviation: GU
Major Industries: National defense, tourism, construction, food processing

Time zone in Guam (GMT+10)
Chamorro Standard Time

Guam Facts
Guam is a small U.S. island territory in the Western Pacific. It’s known for tropical beaches, native Chamorro culture, Spanish colonial heritage, and playing a significant role in World War II.

Picture: Old Canons pointing to the ocean in Guam

History
How did Guam get its name: When sailors from Spain came to Guam, the native Chamorro people would run out to their ships to sell fruit, calling “Guahan!”.  “Guahan” means “I have,” and it sounded like “Guam” to the Spanish sailors, who named the island after this greeting.

Date admitted to the Union: Guam became a U.S. territory in 1898 after the Spanish-American War.
On August 1, 1950, the Organic Act of Guam gave U.S. citizenship to all Guamanians (people born in Guam).

Picture: Coastline in Guam

Geography
Size: 210 sq. miles
Lowest point: Pacific Ocean at sea level
Highest point: Mount Lamlam at 1,334 ft.
Counties: 19 (called villages)
Famous locations: Two Lovers Point, Underwater World, Tumon Beach, Cetti Bay Overlook, Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad, Pacific National Historical Park

Picture: Cliffs and Coastal landscape of Guam

Fun Facts

"As per coolkidfacts.com here are some fun facts about Guam

• Surprisingly, there is no sand on the island of Guam. The beaches are covered in coral instead of sand, and paved roads in Guam are made by mixing coral and cement. Guam’s coral reefs provide more than $20 million to the island’s economy.

• Just four hours after Pearl Harbor was bombed during WWII, Guam was bombed too.

• It’s a Pacific Army base for the United States and is home to the Guam Pacific War Museum.

•  Visitors can see weapons, helmets, and personal belongings of soldiers from both the United States and Japan.

• It’s said that the island of Guam is shaped like a footprint. It’s about 30 miles long, and its width varies from 4 to 12 miles at different points.

• Like Puerto Ricans, Guamanians are U.S. citizens but cannot vote in U.S. elections. They have delegate in Congress, but this delegate is also non-voting.

• A popular slogan in Guam is “where the American day begins.” Guam is the first place where the sun rises on U.S. soil and is about 14 hours ahead of the U.S. east coast.

• The dominant language in Guam is Chamorro, the language of the island’s native people. Although it is similar to Spanish, Chamorro is an Austronesian language spoken by around 58,000 people. English is also spoken on the island."

Picture: Injaran Falls

"Even though Guam is  famed for its military bases rather than its tourism sector, this tropical destination is a hidden paradise for vacationers. Guam offers beautiful white beaches, exotic wildlife, and intriguing culture and history."

Picture: Nikko Hotel and Resort Guam

This post is part of the #StateChallenge Meetups from Team USA, hosted by @Kwiksatik and  @Denise_Barlock   

References:

wikipedia.org

https://www.coolkidfacts.com/

Hagåtña, Guam
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Guam, Where is it? Some fun facts #StateChallenge

Connect Moderator

@jayasimha78 JUST WOW!!! What a fabulous article on Guam! I can't thank you enough for such wonderful research and information! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! 🙂

Level 10