somethinglikeJane's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Grow with Google: Pennsylvania

I went to the Grow with Google event today in Philadelphia. I'm not a small business owner but I wanted to learn more about how Google is used as tool beyond advertising. To my surprise, many of the business owners in attendance were not aware of things that we local guides do everyday, like upload photos to a business. Shocking right? Well, I think this is where local guides can really discover a lot about the missing pieces between Google Maps, Google Business listings and how everything works together. I don't know how I can do it, but I want to be proactive about reaching out to these small business owners. It would be cool if Grow with Google could have local representatives that could serve as a resource beyond the amazing workshops. From what I can see, the attendees were really enjoying physically interacting with the Google team and didn't want the event to end. As a local guide, I learned that there's probably a lot more that I can do to help bridge the gap in small business recognition on Google. I hope everyone gets the opportunity to attend a Grow with Google event so you can share your stories and what you learned.

GoogleLogo.jpegSignGoogle.jpegChalkboard.jpegChrome.jpeg 

1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Grow with Google: Pennsylvania

Thank you for this insides @somethinglikeJane

I know as well that many businesses do not know about the Google benefits. I think Google are not really good in advertising this (at least in Germany), but maybe it only needs time 😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Former Google Contributor

Hey @somethinglikeJane,

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad to hear you had a good time! If you'd like to bridge the gap, why not arrange a mapping of your area meet-up? You could add valuable contributions to Google Maps and help small business owners. 

I think @PaulPavlinovich and @EmekaUlor could give you some tips here. 🙂

That said, please feel free to have a look at How to Organize a Local Guides Meet-Up.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@AlexaAC  thank you for tagging me to this interesting and developing issue.

@somethinglikeJaneyou right about small businesses not know about Google tools for business. It is the same thing in Nigeria but some of us are bridging the gap. I'll explain briefly and if you are interested in getting more details, I may need to discuss privately.

Aside being a Local Guide, you can help businesses claim their Google My Business Page so that they can interact with potential customers via Google Maps. Also, the Streetview Trusted Badge gives some authority to talk to businesses on the need to have 360 degree photography of their office or shop. There are some guidelines though, if you are into digital marketing or online biz then you can add that to your services.

Finally, organizing regular meetups or forum for the public/small business owners will be a good platform to share more information about Local Guides/Google Maps.

oh, I see this venue has an accessible entrance. 🙂

Level 9

Connect Moderator

@somethinglikeJane It is indeed baffling how little business owners are aware of even the mere existence of local guides. I have blogged on this topic a while ago (feel free to share that post and/or the argumentation used in it).

As for those "Grow with Google" events: in my view it would be a good idea for Google to proactively reach out to local guides from the area where the event takes place in order to explain a bit about the LG program to the participants.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@JanVanHaverThat would be cool if there could be some sort of partnership with the two so we could really drive that awareness. I hope you get the opportunity to attend one of the Grow with the Google workshops in the future or if we are lucky, LG's like you and me are taking part in the events. I'm going to check out your blog right now. Thanks for sharing!

Level 8

Thanks buddy @somethinglikeJane 

(REDACTED) Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.
Former Google Contributor

I'm happy you had a good time at the event, @somethinglikeJane. Thank you for sharing your experience and for your desire to spread the world to people who could be happy to take advantage of such opportunities. The missing pieces indeed need to be discussed but as you said, time fixes all. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 3

I didn't know these types of events existed. Thanks for sharing.