OmerAli's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Connect Moderator

Grand Selfie Challenge 01 - Recap

Year 2019 kicked off with so many interesting posts here on localguidesconnect (LGC). We saw the year 2018 in review from @Albry , @AriMar's post about the hashtags on Google Maps and many more.  

We Also saw excellent photography tips (here & here) from @Christina-NYC@ErmesT's post on capturing sunset and @PennyChristie's great post about the same theme on capturing sunrise and sunsets , to name a few.  

We had a lot of great posts on Idea Exchange as well, but I had an Idea to present a theme that can help to curate & consolidate the content (if established). The Idea was pretty simple and revolved around two major factors:

1. Start a thread where people can share their selfie's (to be able to consolidate everything under one place and make it useful on LGC)
  2. Instead of simply sharing selfies (like other platforms), relate it to a place that resonates with one's thought or is/was close to one's heart (that way, curating meaningful selfies that points to a favorite place that our fellow local guides visited)

We have Google Lists on maps? don't we?

well, we do, and they work great. But, you have to add a map listing/review and build up a list. whereas, this idea was to build up a list coming from local guides around the world (even if it wasn't reviewed or posted by them on Google Maps, pretty simple, eh?), to:

•  Put a Face to a name ( @MoniDi's words: Infact, in this post we saw a great contribution from Google Moderators)
  •  Put a name to a place ( You'll get the idea, if you keep on reading .... πŸ™‚  )

So, any plausible action?

Well, yes, we had Call for Grand Selfie Mosaic challenge (Started: 21st January 2019  | Ended: 10th Feb, 2019) where local guides were asked to share:

•        Their Selfie
  •        a little description about their favorite place (why it holds so much significance to them)

I was amazed with the response from LGC community. We had so many contributions from local guides, connect moderators and Google moderators as well (Honestly, I never had any interaction with most of them and it was the first time I got to know their names and how they look like πŸ˜„ ).

So, I decided to go an extra-mile and sum up the results in a very different way this time, including:

1. A Photo Album of all the selfies
  2. A list with all the details from this thread (only the content that was publicly shared)
  3. A Google Earth Tour to see the favorite places of the participants ( apologies if your location is not pinned at the right place)
  4. Google Earth Tour Files (in case you want to add-to our save a local copy of the tour)
  5. A 3D Photo wall & a Grand Selfie Photo Mosaic 
  6. Instagram stories (Insta ready stories, that you can download and post on your channels if you wish - Calling out @TraciC @brittym @MaxNYC to see if the content is good enough for the official channel? Yes/Please/Thanks πŸ™‚)

All of this can be found on the Google Drive here (no copyrights or privacy breach intended. As all the information was publicly shared, the media was personally created, I believe that I am not violating any terms and policies here )

So, Thanking all beautiful 80 contributors by presenting:

The Photo WallA 3D Photo Wall made by summarizing the contributions of local guides in Grand Selfie ChallengeA 3D Photo Wall made by summarizing the contributions of local guides in Grand Selfie Challenge

The Photo MosaicLocal Guides Photo MosaicLocal Guides Photo Mosaic

That gorgeous little Photo Album Slideshow

That, looong Google Earth Tour

Thanking everyone for their contributions, I hope to see other other Grand Selfie Challenges.

Cheers

P.S. Please check out the Insta stories on the drive (you can download them on your device and make them yours) and also feel free to tag your fellow local guides in this post (specially the ones, who took part in this competition)

The post now has updated Photo Wall, Photo Mosaic and Album Slideshow video.Picture of Local Guides who were the first ones to reply to the Grand Selfie ChallengePicture of Local Guides who were the first ones to reply to the Grand Selfie ChallengeI had to add this photo to tell you guys that I missed your submission by accident, but, I love you guys πŸ™‚

Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia
107 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Grand Selfie Challenge 01 - Recap

Marvelous work @OmerAli  ,

I really appreciate and love your dedication. And I can understand how much time you spend and hardwork you did for this project.

Hats off for you Bhai πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thank you so much Omerali.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @KashifMisidia bhai for taking part in this concept and being supportive in everything that I do. 

I really appreciate that and I hope that you liked the end product πŸ™‚

Level 8

This is SUPERB! thanks a bunch, @OmerAli for all the hard work and coming up with amazing videos, loved the idea of Google Earth tagging ^_^ 

Connect Moderator

@AIMAN_SAEED thanks a lot. 

I really appreciate your kind words and am so happy that you liked the idea (I was kinda keeping it a secret , and, together with multiple computer crashes, I really hoped that people find it interesting)

Level 9

Welldone @OmerAli  πŸ‘

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Haseeb bhai. I would love to see your selfie in the next challenge πŸ™‚

Connect Moderator

@OmerAli Awesome results! I really liked the Google Earth tour. The 2018 recap was very nice too. Thank you for doing all of this!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @OmerAli 

for your wonderful work!!!

It's incredibly!

I'm so happy to see LGs friends!

Hey @lucianavelasques , @alexandradias ,  @Haruki , @BeatrizAguilar ! We should see this!

Level 10

@OmerAli  Thank you so much to do this!!! I loved!