NahidHossain's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Google Plus and my Map Making Journey

I started my social media journey with mig33 in 2007. It was quite interesting and very addictive at the same time. It was 2009 when I stepped into facebook. There are more forums, blogs, and mobile apps, but these two giants made my life community online.

Old interface of mapmaker, Source: blogoscoped.comOld interface of mapmaker, Source: blogoscoped.com

I started my mapping journey in 2010. I started with google mapmaker and Panoramio for photos. It was so buggy to map things, and it was quite slow, but I was very addicted to photos on google earth. I used to learn and share my contribution with local communities. Recently, The Panoramio service closed down its website, and people rarely use google earth now.

But those days with my contribution made me strong and made up my interest in volunteer contribution for community good. I started fresh on Wikipedia. It was quite much addictive, and I got so involved that I often used to get called with the name Wikipedia Nahid. After map making, this was one of the biggest communities I got involved with. Now I am leading the local Wikimedia community as a community director for regional operations.

After a few hundred days, a fellow volunteer introduced me to the name Local Guides on Wikipedia. He was describing the whole process of google maps and his contribution methods with a mobile phone. I was a windows phone user then, so I collected the basic concepts from him.

I searched for the name of local guides, and boom! It was the map maker with new branding and huge platform changes. I got introduced to Local Guides from my computer browser. One of the interesting parts of the new journey as I was also introduced to the new community forum.

In google plus, I got introduced to Bangladesh Local Guides and their active members. They were so young and energetic. There were so many new things, and they discussed their problems with local mapping.

Bangladesh Local guide was one of the most remarkable online communities that made one of the most beautiful local guides contributors forums. I got introduced to Mahbub, Sajol, @AyonSaha, Shamim, Nazmul & so many more.

Now google plus is also closing and going to wipe out their service. I am going to miss my community.

Dhaka, Bangladesh
1 comment
Level 10

Re: Google Plus and my Map Making Journey

Thanks for sharing your story @NahidHossain 

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.