bassey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Google Maps relevance to user in Lagos, Nigeria

Meet Abdulazeez! He is from Mauritania (about 1,500 miles from Nigeria) He is the owner of Azeez Horticultural Garden in Lagos, Nigeria, a small garden by the roadside of a major street (Admiralty way, Lekki Phase1). They sell flowers, plants and flower pots (made mostly of clay) to customers for homes and offices. His is peculiar because of the colourful flower pots he makes, displays and sells. I find the array quite interesting and beautiful and found out it wasn’t #OngoogleMaps. So I decided to not only place it on the map but use it as a case study for the importance of Google Maps to SMEs.

So I met Abdulazeez’s son on the 27th of January, 2018 who gave me all the details needed to be added on maps and I added the business  HERE with good pictures to show how beautiful the display is.

The array of Flower pots for saleThe array of Flower pots for sale

Fast-forward to April the 21st. I visit the garden and waited for about an hour to see Abdulazeez. What I wanted to achieve was the following

1. see if he knows his business is on google maps
  2. see if he understands the implications
  3. get feedback from him 

When he arrives, I introduce myself and tell him about the Local Guide program and underlined the fact that what we do is absolutely free (just to calm his nerves when I tell him about his SME on maps). I told him I was there earlier and I had taken information to add his business on maps. I then searched for his business page on map. When it came up, he lit up! I asked him if the information was correct and he agreed. He mentioned that he noticed people have been coming to his garden asking ‘is this Azeez garden’ and he wondered how they knew the name especially when his is without a signpost. This is one thing google maps gives SMEs….free exposure, free marketing!

A hanging flower pot for indoor decorsA hanging flower pot for indoor decors

I then asked him to make the search himself on his phone and he was more excited. I told him I’d love to take more pictures and a 360-degree shot as well, he agreed. Then I decided to take pictures of him and his helpers of the day; mostly his kids. I was particularly impressed by the intelligence of the young boys. They were creative and crafty as well. Spoke with smiles and laughed a lot.Abdulazeez (posted with permission)Abdulazeez (posted with permission)Azeez with some of his boys (posted with permission)Azeez with some of his boys (posted with permission)

Abdulazeez then mentioned that he had another location about 1.5km away (according to google maps). He wanted me to add the place too so, I took him on a ride to the location and it had the same branding, looked the same. So I took pictures, 360-streetview shots and added the place with all the right and available information instantly. The second location is HERE

Clay pots for flowers in the new locationClay pots for flowers in the new location

Then I wanted him to appear on video while I record. The video can be accessed here. I used a phone so pardon me if it isn’t so professional; plus I’m not so good in editing videos. He was very happy that his business was on the internet and his people back in his country would see what he is up to in Nigeria and people who live far from his location can see his business and come for purchases (talk about marketing without cost). 

MAP-1742.jpg

Watch video by clicking HERE

On our way back, he decided to try what I told him…how google maps can lead him to his garden via navigation system. Google maps took us to his grade and he heard the voice say (turn left and your destination is 600 meters away. He was excited. Then when we arrived, the voice said ‘you have reached your destination’. This was when he got emotional. I saw he almost broke down. I comforted him and told him that he should take full advantage of maps to prosper in his business. He was to happy; he couldn’t stop thanking me till I drove off. It was such an emotional encounter. I was touched…..It hit me!

What we do as Local Guides affect the lives and businesses of people and their families. It improves lives. This is why I am a Local Guide!! This is why I am passionate about what I do as a guide!! This elevates me!! Thank you, Google Local Guides, Thank you for reading too.

Love for Food and Landscape photography
Lagos, Nigeria
35 comments
Level 10

Re: Google Maps relevance to SME business in Lagos, Nigeria

@bassey Very nice and colorful too. Thanks for sharing. I know @KarenVChin will love this.

Level 10

@bassey Very enlightening and colorful too. Thanks for sharing. I know @KarenVChin will love this.

Level 10

Thanks. I know any Local Guide would love to know that our contributions are helping people and businesses. 

Level 8

This is beautiful, wow... What a success story.

We need to run with this story to educate SME's in Lagos and around Nigeria at what they are missing by being so strict in allowing local guides take pics of their businesses.. I'm so happy for Azeez Garden.

Kudos @bassey and thanks so much for taking out time to write and share this winning inspiring and encouraging story. Thank you. 

Level 8

That's for sure. It helps me a lot when trying to take decisions in and out of the country, yet it does really help businesses. I device on another when the reviews are not good and encouraging. 

Welldone @bassey

Level 9

@bassey this is the definition of touching lives through google maps. It seems as if though Abdulazeez had achieved his desire , his dream was not fulfilled. Good job Bassey for you’ve helped him fulfill his dream as a dedicated google local guide....

Level 10

Very true. If only they knew to take advantage of google maps. It really does help. 

Level 10

Thank you @Ogo1406

Level 10

Thank you @Ant0ni