AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Google Maps helped to save a life of a young woman from a suicide attempt....

Thank you, Google Maps for helping me to save a life of a young woman from a suicide attempt. 

Today morning I went to drop my daughter to the school. On my way back, I was just passing the Kalutara Bodhiya I suddenly noticed a young woman just dropped her bag, climbed the hand rail and jumped into the river. I was on the other side of the road and I could not do anything, it happened so quickly. 

The place which incident occurred on Street View

I just stopped my car on the bridge and ran towards the hand railing of the bridge. The river was very rough due the over night rain and I am not a good swimmer. I was looking for her for few minutes and I saw she was holding a tree branch and she was crying. I ran to my car and took the phone and I call the 119(police hot line) and informed them. It suddenly stuck to my mind that the Kalutara South police(which is about 300m from the bridge) does not have an emergency rescue team. Suddenly it came to my mind there is a fire station at Kalutara about 300m from the place where the incident occurred. I could not remember the telephone number. Likely I added the information of this fire station to the Google Maps and I quickly searched the Google Maps and rang them. They came to the seen in few minutes and they threw a rope towards the woman. With in few minutes, a Navy boat came and they rescued her. 

If I did not have the Google Maps I could not find the telephone number of the fire station and save her life. 

Thank you, Google Maps for helping me to save a life of a young woman. 

PS: I came to know she is a university undergraduate and she is having a psychiatry issue. 

@OSAMA @HelloSamsonR @BishowvijayaP @NareshDarji @ErmesT @LucioV Have you came across something like this in your life?

Request: Please add/update all the places in your town where you can get a support in an emergency. It may be already there, but there is a possibility to miss few on the Google Maps or information may be outdated about the places already on Google Maps. 

Kalutara Bridge, Colombo - Galle Main Road, Kalutara, Sri Lanka
46 comments
Level 9

Re: Google Maps helped to save a life of a young woman from a suicide attempt....

OMG.. really heart touching story bro @AnuradhaP you are our hero , bro

It's like I didn't read the title and just read the story and my heart start beating as I see the situation with you , thanks God you help her , 

Bravo , Wonderful Amazing bro , am very proud of you 👍👍👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Google Maps helped to save a life of a young woman from a suicide attempt....

Lot's of respect bro!!!! love to hear that you saved someone's life. God bless you!!!

Level 10

Its an amazing power of maps @AnuradhaP bro. The incident reminded me of my past activities. Initially I was focussed on adding numbers of hospitals, police stations and schools.

I have a great saltation for your work. Beyond the scene probably many people are helped by your contribution on map. This you got helped yourself by your addition. Thus you became able to transfer that help to her (the woman). Its something motivational. 🙂

Former Google Contributor

@AnuradhaP Wow, what quick thinking on your part. An excellent reminder about how important it is to have access to emergency information wherever you are. Thank you for sharing this inspiring story!

Level 9

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing this story @AnuradhaP! Glad you were there to help. 🙂

Googler

Hi @AnuradhaP. First, thank you for helping this young woman. Second, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Just wow. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

@AnuradhaP Thank you and well done for you quick reflexes and saving someone life , and saving someone life is beyond anything else. You are truely inspiring..

Level 8

@AnuradhaP Wow that's amazing that tacks a lot of corrige we should remember you as an emergency 911 Local Guide bro, I praise you, my friend,

My kindest regards

@DavidTito