Malarik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Google Maps are being uploaded to Google Photos / Google Drive despite all.

No matter what I try, including setting lower resolution, which is not supposed to eat drive space, my Google Maps

pics take up Goggle Drive space.  In addition, I have a Goggle Pixel phone which also is not supposed to eat

drive space, but seems to also.

So, I periodically reset the resolution setting & reapply to Google Drive Pics.  I can find no setting on my iMac

version of Google Maps that either address resolution, relationship to Goggle drive, nor on the Pixel pics.

This poor programming should be addressed by Goggle ASAP, since so many people want to contribute,

but do not want their Map hobby to interfere with Gmail.

They should also unlink the Gmail space limit from the rest....so that email will not be blocked by

Maps / Drive using too much space.  

Across the board, many of the programs that involve Email, Photos, Map, Local Guide, etc...

seem to be uncoordinated with each other.

I should not have to be force to buy more drive space because of clunky software.

I do not know whether this is an oversight by Goggle or they just want to make money.

Goggle does make money off of my (& others) 9k+ & 37Million+ view of my Goggle Map Pics.

I bought their phone with the thinking that those pics would have both free storage & be at high

resolution for free...as advertised.

While my free use of 10+ years use of Gmail, which I find essential, is fantastic, I do not

wish to be force to buy unnecessary extra drive space for Goggle's poor programming.

I do know that others have had hassles with this.

Thank you Goggle for Gmail & the other features, but no thank you to being forced

to pay for extra drive space.  My 100GB freebie will expire soon & my drive account

will return to 15GB.  My email only takes up a fraction of that.

Thanks,

Paul

Pismo Beach, CA, United States
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Google Maps are being uploaded to Google Photos / Google Drive despite all.

Hi @Malarik

All images you upload to all Google products appear in Google Photos. Note that you can recover space used by images that you've posted to Maps by switching from Original to High Resolution and use the Recover Storage button in the Google Photos App (or photos.google.com)

Storage OptionsStorage OptionsRecover StorageRecover Storage

Regards Paul

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @Malarik

All images you upload to all Google products appear in Google Photos. Note that you can recover space used by images that you've posted to Maps by switching from Original to High Resolution and use the Recover Storage button in the Google Photos App (or photos.google.com)

Storage OptionsStorage OptionsRecover StorageRecover Storage

Regards Paul

Level 9

Thanks for the compress advice.  Unfortunately, I every now & then I have to keep repeating that procedure for unclear reasons. 

It really should be a set & forget type of choice (at least IMHO).

Connect Moderator

Hallo, "funny" is, that There no more appears Recover Storage ! It disapeared in my Case some Days ago and I Cannot upload any pictures.  Also from beginning I use "High quality" !!! I tried it from 5 computers with several browsers now.  I have over 10.000 pictures on Maps! Torben 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 5

If you are using a Mac and an iPhone, I think that is the root of your problem. I've worked many years with Mac products and as a result, I am a confirmed user of Intel-based products. My laptop, by the way, is an ASUS. My phone is Tracfone loaded with Google Applications.