lizhuang's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Google Local Summit 2017: Hello world!

Hi, I'm a Level 5 local guide!Hi, I'm a Level 5 local guide!

Hello fellow LGers!

My name is Lisa Huang, and I'm a local guide based in Taipei, Taiwan!   

I was born in Taiwan, grew up in Singapore, lived and worked in USA and South Africa.  

I consider myself a global citizen and loves exploring new cultures through food! In fact, I love food so much that I founded a social dining project, Food and Chatter to bring strangers together over a shared meal in Cape Town, South Africa.

Here's my short, 60sec introduction video for Local Guide Summit 2017. You can watch it with Google Cardboard or any other VR device in 360degrees!

Since learning to code last year, I've become a digital nomad and is currently in Europe for a 3month trip.  

I'm currently in Berlin, and will be attending JSConf EU on May 6th, so leave me a comment if you are around.

I plan my trip using Google Trips to organize my itinerary since the app automatically generates a trip based on flight and hotel booking emails in my Gmail inbox. The app also provides useful information with Day plans, public transportation information and Need to Know - this is a super handy app for any traveler!

Once I arrive in a new city, I rely heavily on Google Map reviews to find local restaurants, coworking spaces and other interesting local business throughout the trip. When I see a Local guide review, I typically click on their profiles to find other interesting places in the area. This is how I discovered diving with Great Whites in South Africa, the best #BlueberryBourbonBasil donuts in Portland Oregon, take a 3hour train ride to the Top of Europe in the Swiss Alpes and so much more!

Top of Europe on Jungfrau peaksTop of Europe on Jungfrau peaks Shark cage diving in Gaansbai, South AfricaShark cage diving in Gaansbai, South Africa Delicious donuts in Portland, OregaonDelicious donuts in Portland, Oregaon

Since joining LG initiative in September 2016, I have contributed:

+ 387 reviews
+ 230 places with answers
+ 15 new places added
+ 374 places edited
+ 817 photos
+ 4.1M photo views and counting!

4Million photo views and counting4Million photo views and countingLocal guide statisticsLocal guide statistics

Through Connect, it's been wonderful to read other local guide's stories and see how they use Google Map.  Like WaweruM's story on mapping Nairobi Kenya and PaulP's 36degree photo walk initiative in Australia that's gained LG support globally!

I will love to attend this year's LG Summit to learn about the exciting new features and products currently being developed at Google, and to meet local guides from around the world! Right now, I plan to visit California in October and hope to see you guys in the San Francisco bay area 🙂

Thanks!

Lisa Huang

Connect with me on:     Google+ LisaHuangTravelbug | Twitter: @bestCapeTownSA | Instagram: willworkremote

- Lisa
Berlin, Germany
6 comments
Level 9

Re: Google Local Summit 2017: Hello world!

@lizhuang beautiful video. Best wishes dear

Level 8

Good luck @lizhuang Very original to make a 360° app video

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Level 8

Thank you @DrYashPaulSharma  & @LuisHM

- Lisa
Level 7

Great post, you really seem to be using Google Maps to its fullest!

Level 8

Wow @lizhuang To be honest I can't really imagine how great you've helped others out there. Hoping to see you in San Francisco. Best of luck.

Level 5

Hi @lizhuang you have a very good profile, and a lot of picture views, Congratulations...  Big Big Kudo

Ulugh M.