Barracudax's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Google | Local Guides VS Facebook | Places Editors

What do you think about the comparison between: Google | Local Guides VS Facebook | Places Editors ..?

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Google | Local Guides VS Facebook | Places Editors

@Barracudax,

I am not familiar with FB, can you educate me about FB's Places Editors?

Level 6

Hi @Barracudax nice to see your post it very interesting comparison but I thing in fb we can set places of our business or personnel pages. Now fb is offering to people this facilities that if some one knows the place he or she can edit it if its not true or displaying wrong info or location. Its working from definitely from Google maps but it is different as we work as local guides at Google maps as Google maps show the real places. Thanks I think you understand my info. Thanx

Level 10

I was editing places also in FB, but i don't like the competition that is set up here and the rules are not so clear, so i stopped to contribute in an active way.

Level 8

I used to be fairly active as a Facebook Places Editor to the extent that I visited Facebook HQ as part of a Places Editor event they hosted.

While it was great to have the opportunity to visit Facebook HQ without what appears to be a rigorous application process that Level 5 Local Guides have to undertake, overall I've come to like the Google Local Guides program better for a few reasons:

The FB Editor program started strong, but seems to have petered out. Originally we FB Editors had the ear of some of the FB developer staff, but over time they stopped interacting with us. From what I can tell, the fun FB Editor visit to Facebook HQ that occurred in 2015 never recurred.

Also, Facebook seems to give too much power to the owner of a place versus the Editors. Now, in most cases this should be fine, but I can't tell you how many times I made an obvious correction to an address or other info, and because the Place owner did not concur, the edit never went through. (For example, there is a restaurant located on "Broadway" in Los Angeles but the place owner chose to list it as "Broadway St" in the Facebook address field. That address is clearly wrong and maps to the wrong location, but because the Place owner did not agrew with the change, my edit was rejected and it continues to be listed inaccurately.)

Also, Facebook makes it very difficult to correct errors in Place names like capitalization and spelling and what changes it does allow take forever to be approved, unlike my experience with Local Guides where my corrections sometimes seem to be approved instantly. (Perhaps because this is because I'm a Level 5 Local Guide, but still.)

Unless things change for the better at Facebook, I'm a bigger fan of Google's Local Guides program for now.

Level 9

I've only used it to add locations that weren't available for geotagging in instagram. Feels a little unsupervised.