ajitbehea62's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: ID card for Local Guides

@Jwtiyar-Nariman If you're not allowed to take pictures, then you should obey. There might be certain regulations of restrictions that won't let you to take photos of the particular places. You should not force your way into it, and no kind of IDs will be able to help you in this matter. 

The important thing in the Local Guides program is that for you to enjoy the experience. There's no need to put yourself into difficult situation or get into trouble for it. If you're told that you're not allowed to take photos, explain kindly what the program is all about. You can also show the Contributions page on the Maps app to act as your Local Guide 'identity'. If you're still told you can't take photos, just move on. It's not worth it.

Level 8

Re: ID card for Local Guides

@iyudhi Thank you so much for your valuable reply . Same thing I always do.But ID card could makes things easier. It was our expectation, nothing else .Thanks again.

Level 7

Re: Google Local Guides ID Card

Yes, I think this is a great idea !!

Level 8

@KenR wrote:

@GuyeB wrote:

Great idea! I was once reported and questioned by Mall Security for taking pictures of a restaurant inside the Mall. It all turned out okay once I explained and demonstrated what/why I was doing, but it would be nice to be able to show some sort of Official ID with a picture on it.

I also experienced that before. Having an ID for an official Google Local Guide would validate our tasks and prevent scenarios like these.

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure I think this is a good idea.  I would be concerned some people would abuse it to get perks at businesses, etc.  Kind of like the Yelp Elite community is occasionally accused of doing.  They have gotten a bad reputation just because of a few rotten apples.  

As far as the pictures go, I'm surprised that Mall Security questioned you on it.  This has really become the norm in our society and I see it everywhere I go.

Level 7

I've had several people stop and ask what I'm doing with very quizzical looking faces. I tell them I'm taking pictures for Google and putting it on maps and they normally get excited and want to tell me all about your business! Haha

@AjitB wrote:

Can we are Get a Google Local Guides ID Card(Authorized Maximum Place or Benefit)?

Respectfully,

Will
Level 4

20160728_181550.jpg

I would like that too. I have a press pass for the Town of Garden City but I travel often and most times the photos and review portion have nothing to do with the area because it's such a small town. I do photography and some other work there but, contribute to a lot of other organizations too. 

Level 5

I fully agree. I had a scenario the other day at the mall where security thought I looked suspicious. Being a veteran I understood and explained to them what I was doing and they where cool with it. 

But people in general don't really pay attention to me I noticed except for the select few who give a strange look.

Banners for cars would also be good or a sticker to put in the window maybe.

@AjitB wrote:

Can we are Get a Google Local Guides ID Card(Authorized Maximum Place or Benefit)?

Level 8

Re: Local Guides ID Card

I agree that an official Local Guides ID card would be great!  But the dangers of abuse in terms of quid-pro-quo, disparaging of the Google Brand, etc. would far outweigh the benefits.  A T-shirt would probably be more appropriate. 

Incidentally, I have been stopped by security guards and business owners and I tale the time to explain exactly what I'm doing, and why.  For the business owners it's a great opportunity to explain the benefits of having a 'digital space' and encouraging them to claim their maps listing with Google.  

Funny story, at one point I had a Google Credit Card through Google Wallet.  I actually used to use this to help explain what it was that I was doing and it worked waaaayy too well. Lol. 

My Google wallet card looked semi-official....My Google wallet card looked semi-official....

Level 7

Google doesn't provide any card however you can check your id in google map  ( your contributions)

Open Google map > Click on menu then > your contributions 

Then you will see your ID

Imran KHan
Level 7

I once had a police officer question what I was doing. He misunderstood my response and thought that I had been taking pictures of him... Awkward..

A form of LG I.D. definitely crossed my mind too, at that point. 

MacKenzie Oakes