ajitbehea62's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Local guide ID Card

Search the forum, this has been asked many times before, Google will not provide ID. You can explain you are a volunteer (not an employee) and show them Local Guides on your phone and most importantly always obey local laws and respect people's privacy.

Connect Moderator

Hey @ShamimAhmed, yes like what @Pea has said, this question has been asked so many times in the past. Next time it might be a good idea to search the forum first to see if your question has been answered, so you'll be able to find your answer quicker 🙂

Check out the solution of the following post, as it should answer your question

Google Local Guides ID Card

Level 7

Hey Shamim,

You seriously are making sense here. Because when you're in a country like India, not everybody trusts everyone. So, If we click picture of a random shop, it might create question that why you are clicking pictures of my shop? If we can get an ID or something it would be great as those people who questions does not understand anything if we show them in our cell phone that we are  a local guide. They believe that it is fake. But we should understand the view point of Google as well. It would be a li'l too much to ask for an ID card from Google. They have Local Guides in Thousands and still increasing. It might be pretty difficult for them. In summary, avoid clicking things where we find that it might create an issue for us.

I hope this helps. 🙂

Cheers,
Zalak

Level 7

Is possible, Google protect local guides with card or badge?

Hi, all Google Moderators and local guides,

Please, may I know if is possible that Google can protect local guides mostly level from level 3 or 4 with a card or badge, that we can do well and easily the adding places with nice photos on the map.

I suggest that because sometimes if we are adding some places to the map and we want take photo to add to this place, some time, some people come towards us to ask questions and we explain and they understand. But sometimes oooooh!! , the and is not good : they think that we are the spy or..., and sadly they do problem with us...

Please,  if is possible do something for the local guides guides like protection to be free doing the adding places to the map.

Thank you all

Former Google Contributor

Re: Is possible, Google protect local guides with card or badge?

Hi @PierreD, as always noted to Local Guides, we do not provide Local Guides with cards or badges. If asked for identification, we encourage you to share that you are an individual member of the local community (and not an employee of Google) sharing your experiences and local community on Google Maps for others to discover. You are welcome to show them your profile in "Your contributions" in the Google Maps app if they wish to learn more or share the website, g.co/localguides, with those asking questions. If someone does not wish to have their place photographed, it's OK to not photograph it. We encourage Local Guides to follow all local laws and respect privacy when it is asked. 

This topic has been discussed many times (like here and here). I recommend searching the community before posting as it is very likely that someone has asked a similar question - it will save you some time. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

I had also posted similar views but it was informed that Google will issue IDs as LGs are not employees of google. Still I am of the opinion that it would be very helpful.

@PierreD @JeslynL

Level 7

Hi, @JeslynL Many thanks for the answer. Have a good day

Level 7

I have had the same experience.  When I take inside pictures I always ask for permission and try to wait for pedestrians or customers to move out of the way or turn their backs.  Many establishments won't allow the photos and I remind them that people snap photos of their establishment on their cell phones all the time but they still say no.  Here, the old axiom proves true:  "It is better to say I'm sorry than to ask for permission."   I try to remind them that the photos are used to promote their business and they can even tell me what pictures to take  but once they make up their minds, it is difficult to change them.

Always, they ask for a Google ID and I tell them I'm not from Google and that ends the conversation. You know, survival of the fittest. 

Maybe if I bought a pair of those spy sunglasses .  . .

Level 10

Thank you @JeslynL for your prompt and apt response to @PierreD request / question. Frankly and seriously speaking too, the issue of I.D to Local Guides of Level 3 and above is worth looking into. Whilst I agree with showing them ones profile on Google Map, please bear in mind that that is subject to having an uninterrupted internet access and which may sometimes be unavailable when it's needed most.

Therefore, I urge @Corrie@TraciC@GusMoreira@JessicaS and all other Google Moderators to please consider this issue of an I.D to Local Guides as an important one.

@JeslynL wrote:

Hi @PierreD, as always noted to Local Guides, we do not provide Local Guides with cards or badges. If asked for identification, we encourage you to share that you are an individual member of the local community (and not an employee of Google) sharing your experiences and local community on Google Maps for others to discover. You are welcome to show them your profile in "Your contributions" in the Google Maps app if they wish to learn more or share the website, g.co/localguides, with those asking questions. If someone does not wish to have their place photographed, it's OK to not photograph it. We encourage Local Guides to follow all local laws and respect privacy when it is asked. 

This topic has been discussed many times (like here and here). I recommend searching the community before posting as it is very likely that someone has asked a similar question - it will save you some time. 🙂

Level 4

Agreed. I don't like feeling stared at either while people are trying to figure out what you are doing. I've debated taping a sign to my shirt or something... "Updating photos and information for Google maps."