treddinwater's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Google Drive Storage Promotion Ripoff

Great. I have contributed 4 MB of photos for google maps through Local Guides. I did this in order to get the extra drive storage. Google never gave me the storage. Now my photos, that are featured on google maps, are burning my cheapo google allotment of 15 measly MB. Thanks for lying and cheating google. It really now is Google's Earth. Jeez. 

Google Visitor Center Beta, Landings Drive, Mountain View, CA, United States
20 comments
Level 10

Re: Google Drive Storage Promotion Ripoff

@treddinwater, you mean GB instead of MB right? 

Read this link, it will help you recover all that storage taken up by photos. But do make sure you understand what this recovery means, that all your photos will be compressed to a max of 16MP only. So if your original photo is 24MP, after this setting, it will end up at 16 MP max. It's not reversible after you do this.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Free-up-space-in-your-Google-Drive-for-phot...

Connect Moderator

Hi @treddinwater

100GB promotion ended on March 4, 2017. https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Google-Drive-Storage-Promotion-Ending/m-p/1...

You can follow the indications of @StephenAbraham

For having no space usage in for you storage, or at least for your contribution in maps. 

As this seems to be your first post in here, i take the opportunity to give you some information:

• Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Level 7

That is so true. I' level 7 guide and Google took free 100gb space. Now i should pay for extra storage to contribute Google services on which Google makes money. It wasn' enough that I was doing it for free, plus paying my mobile data plan to upload pictures, now I should pay for gdrive storage?????

It was 1Tb free first, than 100gb, than a badge!!!!, not real one rather a small jpg picture!!!!

That is a way to treat someone who contribute!!!!!  Lie to them and charge them

Level 6

I didn't select this solution. What's with that? The solution is google should host the local guides contributions. 

Level 7

It seems that Google cares for money not for people who contributed to Google services. 

Connect Moderator

Hi @treddinwater

I'm the one that marked the solution, because this Is the solution. Your photos are stored for free, using the simple settings that @StephenAbraham

and myself suggest to you. Stephen is a L10, and I am a L8, we have a lot of contributions loaded in Maps and we are not facing the same problem. My 100GB expired 3 months ago, so I searched how to solve it, and the solution works fine. I was aware, as it was clearly stated in the promotion, that it was only for one year, but this is not going to affect our contributions in Google Maps.

Please be so kind to read what has been provided to you. 

Thanks 

Ermes 

Connect Moderator

Dear @zeiv

If you are so kind to read the solution that has been provided, you will probably discover that you do not need to buy any extra storage to contribute to Google Maps, nor to store your own photos and videos  in high quality for free, without any limit.

Feel free to try before complaining for a non problem. 

I wish you all the best for a wonderful new year 2018 

Ermes 

Level 7

Re: Google Drive Storage Promotion Ripoff and Photo Tab will disappear

That is what I'm thinking.  Unfair from Google  (i could use much stronger words). This is the way to loose large number of Local guides.

Connect Moderator

Re: Google Drive Storage Promotion Ripoff and Photo Tab will disappear

Hi @zeiv

And @PTKLENK

Even if I can understand your feelings, I want to invite you to read this post :Help-Desk/How-to-use-your-space-in-Google-drive

I was facing the situation before you, so I've tried to understand how to manage it 

Ermes 

Ermes