Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Google Drive Storage Promotion Ending

I understand your pain but... @JiRiCzEcHiA

Maybe this can help you and everybody else - Link

Level 1

It tooks my half a day to delete all my pics.  I  deleted my account - still getting all messages and answers from this post.

So I had to open another Local Guide acount to leave a reply.

For me that was a good  warning - Google makes you dependend from their service - first you get it for free - than you have to pay.

What I learned from this lectiop? Avoid google products where you can!

Don't be evil doesn't neccesarily mean  someone will not turn mean!

Level 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

But I always find a cure @LucioV

😂

Former Google Contributor

Hello @JiRiCzEcHiA,

This is certainly one take on the program and we are sad to see you go.  As a reminder, people join Local Guides for many different reasons and I thought i'd share a post with you today that demonstrates some of the reasons people enjoy contributing to Google Maps. Thanks for your support.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Anonymous
Not applicable

True @BruceDM, I joined to Local Guides because I want to learn...I want and I will work at Google...that's my reason 🙂

Some people have hidden agenda, not me 😉

Level 10

True @Anonymous your agenda is plain to see.  You want to work for Google.

But the truth is, everyone who contributes to Google Maps, myself included, do so for free.  Google profit from our Labours.

It is not in the least bit unreasonable for contributors to want rewards (recompense if you prefer).

If this was a completely altruistic company - fine, then yes, I'm sure we'd all be doing the same thing happily. But it isn't, it's a $Billion Global corporation profiting from our Labours.

So anyone who is contributing to it without some kind of agenda (for me it's to be considered the top knowledge in London), would be extremely foolish.

As others have mentioned, they had no issues providing their time and labour (if you've reached level 9 on Minimum Wage here in the UK they'd probably owe you around £10,000 just for your labour ignore the revenue you should have garnered for your expertise) for a little bit of extra storage space or minor consideration (that costs Google nothing in real terms) but to have that removed and cause inconvenience to them is, I'm afraid, totally unreasonable.

I love the Google Local Connect programme because it's full of people like us, who want to show the world the places we live in and love.

But if someone is making a profit from our generosity the least the company can do is provide a token of gratitude.

Otherwise it will be left with the worst possible contributions ever and will eventually lose it's user base.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand you @PaulAtherton, but Google knows all of that...and they are aware that they can lose program or people in some program, Local Guides program was be City Expert program, or something like that, at the very beginning...

They know a risk, they have backup plans such as new program...they making a profit and that's all...

I am applying on Google jobs for several years, and you can learn a lot when you see what positions they are offering 🙂 they do not need some workers for maps but few peoples who can bring workers for free 😄

You know all of that, I can tell...but modern marketing winning temporarily not permanently such as - Leaking photos of the new phone, new app etc. 😄

When they announced this free drive space gift, my first question was be what after and I knew it that this is nothing special but marketing to attract people to buy that space after 2 years because people in the 1st world do not have time to deal with alternative ways like me. 

There is a lot of mistakes - Points - Spam, Gifts - Spam and fake Local Guides, Perks - Spam and fake Local Guides + insulting real Local Guides...etc. 😄

You need to know that any large corporation didn't earn money by giving money away to all 🙂

I can write all day about this topic, but this is not place for that and I do not want to share my thoughts publicly, I have bad experiences.   

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Anonymous!

It is definitely clear that you are passionate about working for this company!  I’d recommend checking out Google Careers at www.google.com/careers/ for any open job opportunities and applying directly through the site. Any potential future openings on the Local Guides team could be found there. I should note per our Policy, that moderators like myself are unable to write personal job referrals for Local Guides though. 

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BruceDM, thanks.

I am applying all the time, but now there is a new rule "3 applications in the 30 days" 🙂

And yes, I applied on all Local Guides roles but nothing 🙂 perhaps because I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, not sure.

But true, I am most passionate about Google Maps, for example, Atlas is a tool that I would like to use and work on but never saw some vacancy for that... I was Regional Lead on Map Maker also, that's why I like mapping and I made video tutorials for using MM in local languages.

There is more, like ideas for developing Google Maps and Local Guides along with GMB, Google Small Businesses with VR and Google Glasses etc. 😄

And many many other things, you know all that is related and connected 🙂

I know, I already asked some Googlers from Local Guides team during HO for Community Moderators for some recommendation or something like that, like when you know some Googler personally and that Googler can recommend you directly...but I do not know any Googler directly 🙂 

@Corrie knows all about me (regarding my determination to work at Google) and my goals but she does not know me directly, Traci also etc...

But I am on my own and I am aware of that. 

1.png

2.png