cjland's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Google Drive Storage Promotion Ending - May Pull All My Photos

In typical GOOGLE fashion, I find it completely OFFENSIVE that they would give this GOOGLE Drive bonus but then take it away.   I know it was a "TEMP" promotion....but really?  What is the true cost to Google who has continued to use OUR PHOTOS making the platform more desirable?   

Really?  Google is making a lot of $$$ with the valuable information from this Local Guide Community.    I am just AVERAGE, but I have nearly 12M views with 1,100+ photos.  Why would I continue to keep these photos on Google?  So that I can have a MEETUP?  Really?  

I think the LEAST GOOGLE can do is to offer free space to those community members that continue to make Google Successful.  How is this no different than YouTube?  

2018-06-06_6-12-06.png

It is WRONG.  WRONG.  WRONG.  Shame on you Google for continuing to get the free ride of monetization without giving anything in return.  A badge?   You are taking away the one thing that is actually a TRUE PERK.

6 comments
Level 10

Re: Google Drive Storage Promotion Ending - May Pull All My Photos

@cjlandKindly refer to this solution offered by @ErmesT  You can also  find the same information in the Help Desk board, together with many others 🙂

Connect Moderator

You have unlimited free space for photos and videos on your storage(not only for contributing in Google Maps), at high quality, like I have @cjland

With the end of the free storage promotions, one of the most common question in Connect is: How can I use my space in Google drive?

Of course, with a quick search you will find all the answer, but for an easy reference I will try to summarize in here the most common questions.

The biggest mistake that I did, when I got the free storage, was to save a copy of all my photos in Google Drive. Loading photos in Drive is using your storage space

With a correct setting, you will be able to store:

• Photos, in Google Photos, at High Quality (16MP), for free (unlimited storage)
  • Videos, in Google Photos, at High Definitions (1080P), for free (unlimited storage)

This is the storage I'm actually using:

Total storage.JPG

Most of the space is used for documents that I have in Drive. As you can see from the details, I am not using space for photos

storage details.JPG

And I have more than 7450 files (photos and videos) stored

foto totali.JPG

So, don't worry about space for photos in Google Maps. Make the correct setting, and you will have no problem in storage due to Google Maps or Youtube videos

For more information, here are the links to the help pages:

1. How Google Photos works with Google Drive
  2. Check your Drive storage
  3. Info about upload size
  4. Clear Google Drive space & increase storage
  5. Google photos setting

Hope this can help you

Happy Mapping

Ermes

Level 7

INCORRECT.  The problem is that with problems like PICASSA, when Google does a SYNC it will also grab your VIDEO files from your phone too.  This will count as space AGAINST your account.

I have CONTINUED to use the LOW-RES setting for Google Photos.  It continues to set at 146GB.  Sorry.  It does not work.

Not a problem.  I will jump ship with Google photos.  Plus, the way that Google continues to DEPRECATE everything they build it is only a matter of time before they deprecate this as well.  I will go find another service to backup and upload files.  Not giving up on Google....but this, in my opinion, is one area that they are TERRIBLE AT.  They give things and take them away.

This is WRONG for this COMMUNITY.  Photographers CHERISH THEIR photos.  Google should feel so privileged to be the keeper of them.  What is the reward?  A badge next to your name that no one understands or care about.  It is the truth.

Level 7

INCORRECT.  The problem is that with problems like PICASSA, when Google does a SYNC it will also grab your VIDEO files from your phone too.  This will count as space AGAINST your account.

I have CONTINUED to use the LOW-RES setting for Google Photos.  It continues to set at 146GB.  Sorry.  It does not work.

Not a problem.  I will jump ship with Google photos.  Plus, the way that Google continues to DEPRECATE everything they build it is only a matter of time before they deprecate this as well.  I will go find another service to backup and upload files.  Not giving up on Google....but this, in my opinion, is one area that they are TERRIBLE AT.  They give things and take them away.

This is WRONG for this COMMUNITY.  Photographers CHERISH THEIR photos.  Google should feel so privileged to be the keeper of them.  What is the reward?  A badge next to your name that no one understands or care about.  It is the truth.

Level 7

This is NOT A SOLUTION.  Google needs to fix the problem or LOCAL GUIDES WILL CONTINUE TO LEAVE.

Level 9

This is exactly what I wanted to say. 100GB is nothing for Google especially when they are trying to be the game player in cloud. Google is not giving any respect to the effort we had given to make Google map as it is now.