EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2018

Accessibility is "the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people who experience disabilities." When people with disability are enabled to overcome constraints, move unassisted, they become happy.

Disability includes physical, vision and auditory impairment. Thus accessibility needs differ from one person to the other.

John, my childhood friend thought me how these special people feel. They want to be normal, they want to walk, run, swim, climb and have fun like every other person. It is important, we all understand this singular act.

Accessibility is  a global issue this is why the United Nations recognizes it as a human right. Article 9 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities requires all charter states to provide for full accessibility in their countries.

As, a local guide, I have continued to contribute accessibility information on the google maps by taking photos and making reviews.

Here are some document clips across Nigeria:

GIG Logistics, Ajah, LagosGIG Logistics, Ajah, Lagos

Concorde Hotel, Owerri, ImoConcorde Hotel, Owerri, Imo

Mimi Place, Owerri, ImoMimi Place, Owerri, Imo

Nigerian Stock Exchange, Lagos (23 Floors)Nigerian Stock Exchange, Lagos (23 Floors)

To increase awareness and provide more relevant information, I have initiated a monthly meet-up dedicated to accessibility. Hopefully, more local guides across Nigeria will join the project to enable more special citizens more around without obstacles. Register here - Nigeria Accessible Walk

Monthly Accessibility WalkMonthly Accessibility Walk

Let's guide more people to understand and take action around accessibility.

@JillE @KarenVChin @PaulPavlinovich @ErmesT @Maticoco @Julien44 @OSAMA @SanyaOdare @AustinCO

xoxo

Emeka

Lagos, Nigeria
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Global Accessibility Day

this is the spirit of great local guides @EmekaUlor , keep it up

Connect Moderator

Re: Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2018

Thanks @EmekaUlor for mentioning me in this awesome initiative. Awareness of accessibility is a basic step that need to be made, for improving the real nees of a lot of people. I will share some documentation that I am taking in my area asap.

Thank you for starting with this important step

Ermes

Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor,

This is great initiative, congratulations!

Thanks for reminding it to us.

I hope, it will have an echo in connect as all local guides should keep an eye on these accessibilities and mentionned them in their reviews.

Wishing you all the best for your meet-up.

See you 

Jul

Connect Moderator

Thanks for tagging me @EmekaUlor. Sounds like you have a great monthly meetup plan.

Cheers,

Karen