NirajBhusal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ghode Jatra (Horse Riding Day), Nepal

Ghode Jatra (घोडे जात्रा) which is also known as Horse Riding Day is celebrated in Kathmandu Valley on Chaitra. During Ghode Jatra we have a public holiday on Kathmandu Valley. Ghode jatra is celebrated annually as per a mythology which relates the genesis of the festival after the death of a demon named "Tundi".

This year Ghode Jatra is being celebrated on May 17, 2018 (Chaitra 3, 2018) and we have public holiday on this day but this year it is on Saturday so we are going to miss a holiday.

The festival is celebrated on the day of Krishna Aunsi, as per the lunar calendar, which is a day before the Chaitra Shukla Pratipada and this day is taken as the start of the New Year. Ghode Jatra is known as the oldest festival celebrated in the country’s cultural hub (Tundikhel) of the Valley.

There is a belief that the parade of horses at Tundikhel keeps the demon’s spirit away. The faster the horses run, the better Tundi’s spirit is dispelled. As per another legend, the Ghode Jatra is held to mark the start of New Year.

The horse parade, known religiously known as Aswa Yatra, is organised to welcome the New Year. On the day, the Nepali Army cavalry team performs different artistic stunts riding on their horses.

In Nepali

( प्रत्येक वर्ष चैत कृष्ण औंसीको अवसरमा उपत्यकामा घोडे जात्रा मनाइन्छ । काठमाडौं उपत्यकामा प्रचलित मध्येको यो जात्रा प्राचीन जात्रा मानिन्छ ।

पञ्चाङ्ग निर्णयक समितिका अध्यक्ष प्रा. डा. रामचन्द्र गौतमका अनुसार परापूर्व कालदेखि उपत्यकाको मानव वस्तीमा राक्षसले बालबालिका खाइदिने तथा विभिन्न दुःख दिने गरेको र उक्त राक्षसलाई घोडाको टापले कुल्चाएर मारिएको किंवदन्तीका आधारमा घोडजात्रा मनाइएको पाइन्छ ।

अर्को किंवदन्ती अनुसार प्रत्येक वर्षको चैत्र शुक्ल प्रतिपदाबाट नयाँ वर्षको थालनी हुने विश्वासका आधारमा उक्त दिनको अघिल्लो दिन चैत्र कृष्ण औंसीमा घोडा कुदाएर (अश्वयात्रा) गरी नयाँ वर्षलाई स्वागत गरिने प्रचलन रहेको हो ।

घोडे जात्राको अघिल्लो दिन चैत कृष्ण चर्तुदशीलाई पिसाच चर्तुदर्शीका रुपमा समेत लिइन्छ । काठमाडौँको टुडिखेलमा बर्सेनि नेपाली सेनाले घोडेजात्राको आयोजना गर्दछ भने ललितपुरको पाटनमा आजैका दिन एक्लो घोडा दगुराएर घोडेजात्रा मनाइन्छ ।)

ghode jatra 1.jpgghodejatra 2.jpgghode jatra 3.jpgghode jatra 4.jpg

Namaste, Niraj

Kathmandu, Nepal
10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Ghode Jatra (Horse Riding Day), Nepal

It's interesting post dear. I like to know about festivals around the world. @NirajBhusal thanks for sharing this post about Ghode Jatra from Nepal. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Former Google Contributor

That's a great post indeed, @NirajBhusal

Thanks for sharing!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Connect Moderator

You are welcome dear @NirajBhusal

@NirajBhusal wrote:

Thank you @NareshDarji

Hope you will like this post.

Namaste, Niraj

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@NirajBhusal this event is really interesting and I'm really happy you share it with us. Its meaning is very deep indeed (such an amazing story)! I like the clothes and decoration as well 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 8

Yes this festival is really great @ValeriaA_. Sepcially I love the various activities performed by Nepal Army. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NirajBhusal wao amazing Polo event, here in Chitral, Pakistan, Polo event also held here

Level 8

@NirajBhusal Very nice photos I love the flames bro thanks for sharing nice quilty too