kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Get cozy this winter at these London pubs

The ever-dwindling daylight hours at this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere mean that it feels like it’s time for bed at about 3:30 p.m. The lack of sun coupled with temperatures swiftly approaching freezing can make hibernation feel like the only option. If you’re in London, fight the winter blues and get into the holiday spirit at these pubs and gastropubs recommended by Local Guides for their coziness and festive ambiance.

The Andover Arms

Despite being a local joint, this gorgeous Victorian pub has a formality to it thanks to the cream interior contrasted with the blue-gray, wood-paneled bar as well as the wood floors, leather chairs, gold accents, and fireplace in the back room.

Caption: A photo of the interior of The Andover Arms, a pub in London, showing its blue-gray bar, wood tables and floor, and leather chairs. (Local Guide Christopher Clogher)Caption: A photo of the interior of The Andover Arms, a pub in London, showing its blue-gray bar, wood tables and floor, and leather chairs. (Local Guide Christopher Clogher)

Local Guides say: 

“Small cosy gastropub. Food is excellent so make an effort to go if you can. Very intimate environment ideal for a romantic night out. If you like good food and good drink this is a place for you. It's also a lovely old English pub with all the charm that goes with it.”

Local Guide Robert Lee

The Jerusalem Tavern

This pub has existed in different buildings throughout London since the 14th century. Since 1990, it has been housed in a building that dates back to 1720, which is full of charm, intimate nooks, and a fireplace.  

Caption: A photo of the brick and gray exterior of The Jerusalem Tavern in London showing its two large front windows, gold nameplate over the door, and green benches out front. (Local Guide Matthew Bradby)Caption: A photo of the brick and gray exterior of The Jerusalem Tavern in London showing its two large front windows, gold nameplate over the door, and green benches out front. (Local Guide Matthew Bradby)

Local Guides say:

“One of London’s hidden gems. It is well worth checking out not just for the original 18th century interior, the beautiful delft tiles and overall ambience. But also for the fine selection of craft beers.” -Local Guide David Lintonbon

The Holly Bush

This lovely respite is a centuries-old Grade II listed pub—a designation that notes a building’s historical significance and ensures its preservation—that is owned by Fuller’s Brewery. It offers old-world charm, cask ales, and a spot to warm up by the fireplace.

Caption: A photo of the cozy interior of The Holly Bush, a pub in London, showing its blue fireplace, wooden tables and chairs, heavy curtains, and chandelier. (Local Guide Alan Pembshaw)Caption: A photo of the cozy interior of The Holly Bush, a pub in London, showing its blue fireplace, wooden tables and chairs, heavy curtains, and chandelier. (Local Guide Alan Pembshaw)

Local Guides say:

“Quaint little pub tucked away from the main streets of Hampstead. I often go here after work for a couple of drinks. The food and service is very good. It is also a nice place to bring a date or your significant other as well.” -Local Guide Nk

The Mayflower Pub

Bursting with history, The Mayflower is the oldest pub on the Thames. Its warm, inviting interior gives visitors a perfect spot to grab a pint and look out onto the original 1620 mooring point of the pilgrim’s Mayflower ship.

Caption: A photo of the interior of The Mayflower Pub, showing its charmingly old-world decor, wooden tables, and a taxidermied stag over the brick fireplace. (Local Guide K Thomas)Caption: A photo of the interior of The Mayflower Pub, showing its charmingly old-world decor, wooden tables, and a taxidermied stag over the brick fireplace. (Local Guide K Thomas)

Local Guides say:

“The Mayflower has an old world charm of candles and lanterns by the Thames positively medieval inside but with modern cuisine, ales, wines, loads of choice and generous portions. Recommended” -Local Guide Alan Young

The Ivy House

London's first pub co-operative, meaning it’s run by the community, The Ivy House is a cozy local spot and Grade II listed pub that is known for its live musical performances.

Caption: A photo of the interior of The Ivy House, showing wooden tables and chairs, leather sofas, twinkle lights strung from the ceiling, and the stage draped with red and gold fabric. (Local Guide J Mark Dodds)Caption: A photo of the interior of The Ivy House, showing wooden tables and chairs, leather sofas, twinkle lights strung from the ceiling, and the stage draped with red and gold fabric. (Local Guide J Mark Dodds)

Local Guides say:

“Such a wonderful little gem. I have been to a couple events here over the last two years. It does have a good selection of beers and spirits, and a pub menu. It has a stage and plenty of seating, good place to hire for all sorts of events. I really enjoy the community atmosphere.” -Local Guide Spike Mclarrity

What’s your favorite local pub or bar in your city? Tell us about it in the comments below!

9 comments
Level 9

Re: Get cozy this winter at these London pubs

Thanks for sharing this list. The northern hemisphere gets dark very quickly at night in the winter time! I recall a great experience on the Mayflower pub a few years ago when I used to live in London. This post is very nostalgic to me! 🙂 Thanks @kmajewski!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

My favourite pub in London is The Italian Job 🙂 Owned by a friend of mine is one of the revelations of the last two years!

Google Vendor

Thank you for this great post @kmajewski! My favorite bar is Bar de Rouge. It's very cozy and offers great cocktails and hot chocolates. Perfect for any time of the day.

Here is a photo:

Caption: Mango, strawberry, orange , nonalcoholic cocktail, Bar de Rouge, Sofia (Local Guide @InaS)Caption: Mango, strawberry, orange , nonalcoholic cocktail, Bar de Rouge, Sofia (Local Guide @InaS)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hey @kmajewski,

Thank you for the great share! I plan to visit London very soon so I might end up in one of those pubs. Allow me to suggest one more place where you can escape the cold British weather.

The last time I was in the city, I was walking around Covent Garden district which was full of people even though it was during the day on a regular Thursday.

There I found out Mr. Fogg's Tavern. What impressed me the most, was the ceiling. Different items like baskets, flowers, flags and many others were hanging above people's heads. There were some paintings and taxidermy too.

The tavern was crowded and the staff was very busy but that didn't stop anyone to come inside and explore the extraordinary interior after a drink or two.

Enjoy the warm atmosphere next time you walk down St. Martin's Lane.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the best day ever 

Level 8

Thanks for sharing @kmajewski

Every city has special places where people feel like home.

Level 10

Very informative post.

👌

R S Dev
Former Google Contributor

Hi @kmajewski

Thank you for this list. I missed a couple of these pubs so I will probably try to go to one of them on my next trip to London. I will add a special pub for me which is Princes of Wales. If you like jazz music in a nice and cozy environment this is the right place to go. Easy to reach it from Chalk Farm underground station ( Northern Line) with a special surprise in the garden downstairs.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 4

Super!!!