ThomasBiziouras's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece

This bridge was built before 1880 A.D. and is quite different from all others bridges of this region. That is because its stones are larger and much better crafted. They say that the builders took those stones from an important nearby archeological site (Kastri) that is still researched and excavated.

It has one arch that opens to 11.50 meters and has a height of 7.50 meters. The bridge's total length is 20 meters and its width 3.50 meters.

Its name means "The bridge of the blind man" and the legend says that a blind man was murdered around this bridge. Another legend refers that this bridge had a guard who was tolling the passers-by  and the toll was one grossi (currency that started circulating around 1690 A.D.).

It is also known as Nidrouzi bridge, Alatopetra bridge, Prosvoro bridge and also as just Stone bridge.

You can visit this magnificent bridge by taking a 3 km path from Alatopetra village.

Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas BiziourasGavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas Biziouras

Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas BiziourasGavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas Biziouras

Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Composition Thomas BiziourasGavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Composition Thomas Biziouras

Professional programmer and photographer by hobby. Living in Grevena, Greece's Highlands!
Γεφύρι Νιδρουζη, Γρεβενά, Ελλάδα
13 comments
Level 10

Re: Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece

Thanks for sharing information and photos @ThomasBiziouras. The photos are magnificent. 

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 6

Thank you @TheEagleEye !

Professional programmer and photographer by hobby. Living in Grevena, Greece's Highlands!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @ThomasBiziouras,

Thanks a lot for showing us your photos with these great stone bridges.

I hope you've enjoyed your travel to there. It was really interesting to read your story and I'm happy I've learnt something new.

Did you know that there is a stone bridge called the Devil's bridge close to Dyadovtsi, in Bulgaria?

If you are interested check out the photos on Google Map. I hope you will like it.

By the way, are you a photographer?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Hi @KatyaL, I am a photographer by hobby 🙂

I am aware of the gorgeous Devil's bridge, in fact we have a bridge that looks similar, the Aziz Agha stone bridge in the Grevena region

Hey @ThomasBiziouras,

I wanted to show you another stone bridge, which is also very interesting and it is located in Bosnia and Hercegovina, close to Sarajevo - Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic Bridge. The river Drina has amazing colours and I'm sure it's a good place to take photos. Do you like to take photos of bridges?

Have you been in London? Here is a photo of Tower bridge, but this one is more modern. Do you like more the ancient stone bridges?

Caption: A photo of Tower bridge in London, United Kingdom (Local Guide @KatyaL)Caption: A photo of Tower bridge in London, United Kingdom (Local Guide @KatyaL)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

@KatyaLthanks for sharing those gorgeous photos! I've been in London several years ago, but back then I wasn't taking photos 🙂

I was astounded to see the photos of the Sokolovic Bridge, I would definitely loved to visit it someday.

In general I like the old traditional stone bridges and the local stories / legends that they have around them!

Hey @ThomasBiziouras,

Well, then you are going to like the bridge that I showed you in Bosnia and Hercegovina. It is actually an ancient historical bridge which was built in 1577 by the architect Mimar Sinan on the order of Mehmed Pasa Sokolovic who was a Grand Vizier at that time.

This bridge is on the UNESCO heritage list. Did you know that there is a book called "The Bridge of the Drina" written by the writer Ivo Andric. If you like historical books I think you will like this one.

Level 6

@KatyaLthanks about the book, will research about that.

Most of our old bridges were also built during the Ottoman years, funded by local or grant vizieres and built be Greek stone masters (called Mastoroi in Greek). People that never studied engineering or mechanics but used their mind and experience and finally managed to build masterpieces of folk art and technique. They had even developed their own language (called Koudaritika), a secret, encoded dialect so the Ottomans could not understand them and steal their building secrets.

I am attaching two more photos, one of the view from the bridge and one more of the bridge itself:

Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas BiziourasGavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas BiziourasView from Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas BiziourasView from Gavou old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Photo Thomas Biziouras

Level 9

Beautiful photos, it looks a nice place @ThomasBiziouras