NirajBhusal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Gai Jatra (Cow Festival) , Nepal

IMG_8837.jpgGai Jatra is the festival of cows. Gai means Cow and Jatra means Festival in Nepali. Gai Jatra is celebrated in Nepal, mainly in Kathmandu valley by the Newar community and this festival generally falls in the month of Bhadra, which correspond to English calendar months of  August/September.

It is one of the most popular festivals in Nepal and we have a public holiday on this day in  Kathmandu valley.

Today along with few other Local Guides, we visited Bhaktapur Durbar Square, Bhaktapur where there was a huge celebration of Gai Jatra Festival. I tried to capture some photos of Gai Jatra Festival in Bhaktapur with my Canon EOS 80D, it was really hard since there was a huge number of crowds.  I am posting those photos here and I hope to get your valuable comments, suggestions, and feedback.Selfie with Local GuidesSelfie with Local Guides

(Gai Jatra is a carnival of dancing, singing, mirth, and laughter. The festival of cow is celebrated in the Kathmandu Valley to commemorate the death of loved ones.  As part of the festival family members of the deceased of the past year send people dressed as cows to parade on the streets. The festival usually falls in July or August.

Gai Jatra is a time to remember lost ones and also to ease the pain. The word "Gai" means cow in English. Cow is regarded as the goddess of wealth in Hindu religion. Sharing of sorrow and taking the comfort in knowing that their lost ones are safe is the true reason for celebrating this festival. "WelcomeNepal").

Namaste, Niraj

IMG_20180827_131616.jpgIMG_8837COPY.jpg

IMG_8761.jpgIMG_8782.jpgIMG_8785.jpgIMG_8786.jpgIMG_8787.jpgIMG_8863.jpgIMG_8866.jpgIMG_8871.jpgIMG_8882.jpgIMG_8899.jpgIMG_8908 copy.jpgIMG_8947.jpgIMG_8966.jpg

Bhaktapur, Nepal
29 comments
Level 10

Re: Gai Jatra (Cow Festival) , Nepal

Hi @NirajBhusal

Nice photos of people in traditional dress for Gai Jatra and information is also good.

Happy Festival and Greetings !!

Vijay Desai.

Level 10

@NirajBhusal Thanks for sharing this. It is certainly very interesting to read about celebrations in other countries, especially unique ones like Gai Jatra. One of the photos above has many people standing on a small building or hill carrying umbrellas. What place is that and is there some meaning for many people to be standing up there?

Level 8

Previously there used to be a building there which we lost in Earthquake so people are sitting there to watch celebration of Gai Jatra. 

Thank you for reaching here @StephenAbraham 

Level 8

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this with us @NirajBhusal

It's always amazing to learn other cultures..

Happy Gai Jatra. 👍🎉

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 8

Level 8

😍😍😍.... I'm making plans for Nepal tour next year...

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Level 8

Connect Moderator

Hermosas fotos las que compartiste @NirajBhusal, sé que es una festividad muy animada 😀👍

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper left part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.