AlexanderChalkidis's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

GDPR - class action suit against Google and any help welcome!

I tried in a previous post about GDPR, now here is my post about just how easily less well meaning people than me could take Google to the cleaners about the problem with them not easily removing contributions from Local Guides.

I am doing my best to help Google protect itself but seriously, some Googler has to get into contact with the legal team, these bots are making things worse.

European Court, Grafton Street, Sandown, UK
18 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: GDPR - class action suit against Google and any help welcome!

Hi @AlexanderChalkidis you can manage your content any time you want by yourself through https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard

If you delete your Google Account it deletes all your data including all contributions to Maps and other services.

Regards Paul

Level 10

hahaha.  Paul you don't usually respond to people as if we are total idiots, I would appreciate if you don't start now.  Obviously nobody wants to delete their entire google account just because they want to remove local guide contributions!

The point would be with ONE BUTTON and easily, as per GDPR specifications, to be able to remove Local Guide contributions WITHOUT deleting your entire Google account of course.  

This is an extremely important issue, with possible very serious ramifications for Google and it would be nice to see someone taking it seriously.  We are on Google's side here (or we would have sued already and be waiting for a generous pay out with the settlement) but it is a bit worrying that nobody seems to be responding adequately.

Level 10

BTW @PaulPavlinovich did you actually click on that link you mention?  If you follow through

a. It has no "local guides" category

b. Under google maps, when you click on it, it has no "local guides content" options

So even if I wanted to download my contributions, there seems no easy way to do it!

Connect Moderator

Well calling someone an idiot is one way to get help. Thanks for that.

Your Maps photo contributions will be included with your Google Photos. Your Reviews Contributions will be included with Maps (your places).

Regards The Idiot.

ps. Please read the Core Values of Connect and consider how your current attitude or behaviour does or does not fit with those values.

Level 10

Gotcha, what we have here is a misunderstanding on two levels.

Level 1.  Basic English.  In the hypothetical sentence "you don't usually respond to people as if we are total idiots" the object of "idiots" is "we", ie everyone that ISN'T you, so by definition it is impossible that I accused you of being an idiot.  Sorry, I will try and use more simple sentences.

Level 2. No, what you write is not what we are looking for.  I downloaded my data and looked through it and a) it does not contain all my Local Guides contributions and b) it has no easy, one click way of removing them.

Level 3.  I am not asking for help.  I am doing my best to save Google from a really really big legal mess.

Level 8

@AlexanderChalkidis perhaps  you should post this  suggestion in the feedback category.

🙂 Good luck buddy!

Level 10

Pretty sure Googlers can see it here too, Paul is a moderator after all and I did send feedback to the legal division (or at least tried to!)

It would be nice to have some detailed feedback but hey, we are just local guides.

Level 10

Hi @AlexanderChalkidis Google takeout allows you download your data easily contributed to Maps. You should check it out:https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout?pli=1

Level 10

Google take out is great BUT

1 it doesn't include all local guides content you have contributed.  

2. It doesn't delete that content from maps if you want it deleted as per GDPR

Maybe you should try Google take out and look at the data you receive like I did.