EricMartinezPH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

From Local Guides to YouTube Travel Vloggers

Hey fellow Local Guides, how's it hanging?

My girlfriend and I recently handed in our resignation letters from our comfortable daily grinds. Call us delusional and overly bright-eyed but yes, we are taking a big leap into the unknown. We will be dedicating all our time and energy into our YouTube travel vlog channel, all day, every day. All this started several months ago when we stumbled upon the Local Guides program. Here's a quick rundown:

• Ever since a friend here shared the news of his trip to Google HQ for the 1st LG summit, we were hooked. We loved traveling but neither of us had any experience reviewing businesses nor places. However, the interface was easy, fool-proof and welcoming to newbies enough to get the hang off quickly. In no time, we reached Level 5.
  • Didn't help that both of us are competitive spirits, neither wanting to be outdone. Literally, not a place we went to nor passed closely by was safe from our prying camera phones and eventual reviews or edits. Nicaragua is also comparatively sparsely Google-mapped so it was both a challenge to find and create places and satisfying at the same time to see your uploaded photo and reviews making an impact so quickly on the businesses and the public.
  • Meeting with fellows Local Guides here further fed into our passion as it was really invigorating to share stories and trade productive banter with like-minded people. Our LG community is still small but we are actively pushing to spread the message within the country and beyond as there are far too few participation from other close-by Latin American countries.
  • With all of the LG Summit requirements ticked off, we had a grand time planning and shooting the LG Summit 17 application video. We of course had to look for inspiration from past attendees to have an idea of how we were going to wing it. This was also the time when we came across videos of travel vloggers. Since then, we have just been fascinated by their passion and dedication to their crafts in the same way that we first felt about Google Maps LGs.

Fast forward to today: I was fortunate enough to be picked to attend the Summit this year (my girl wasn't but next year she would be selected, she swears) and we still continue to be prolific contributors to Google Maps. We actively prod each other to take quick photos of the places where in while we're filming for our vlog.

So far, we are loving every minute of it! This makes us bounce off our beds every morning as we know that all our efforts; our hearts and minds - are being poured into our dreams.

I will of course vlog the LG Summit (if allowed) and my extended stay in SF, so exciting times ahead!

Thank you, Local Guides!

High Fives to @TraciC@AnoukV@JuanCh@KarenVChin@ElianeFranco@iyudhi@LucioV@Shirley

P.S. Do subscribe to our channel to follow our adventures;

In Between Maps - YouTube Travel Vlog Channel

Local Guides Represent!

20728002_700951553442005_7747924742148693766_n.jpg20799066_703343929869434_3182446797936523735_n.jpg20799373_703099986560495_375612336436815455_n.jpg20840866_703099853227175_729281978617470246_n.jpg20842058_703345216535972_1141089194683595091_n.jpgCapture1.JPGCapture3.JPG

Managua, Nicaragua
14 comments
Level 10

Re: From Local Guides to YouTube Travel Vloggers

Eric! This is such a great thing to do! I would love to start a travel vlog career, but I'm always thinking it's too late for this, it's too late for that... 

You decided and now you are starting your long journey.

I will follow you and i wish for you and your gf the best luck!

Lucio

Level 10

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Lucio! That means a lot.

Level 9

@EricMartinezPH wow! This is such a cool story! And so brave of you guys to hand in your resignation.  I've always thought about that...but I'm still slaving away at work as I type this message (don't tell my director)!

Love to hear your tips on vlogging.  I've always wanted to start to do it as well, well maybe not quite vlogging, but I wanted to create a channel for doing nail art.  But when I created my summit video last year for the first time... I realized how difficult it actually is to create videos!!! 

Looking forward to meeting you in SF! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

Muy bueno el post @EricMartinezPH mis felicitaciones 👏👏👍, tu presentación me encanto, original, vi algunos de tus vídeos, lindos divertidos y amenos me encanto, lo de dejar todo y seguir en un blog de viajes, un gran desafío, la mejor de las suertes 🍀😀, espero leer más de ti por aquí.

un gran saludo a los dos, Farid.

Level 10

Hi @Shirley, its never too late! Would love to share a lot more vlogging tips when we meet in SF as we tuck more episodes under our belt.

We did the plunge after a lot of research and having some savings to allow us to run on pure passion for some months

Level 10

Hola Farid, espero que no vamos a decepcionarte con nuestra episodios y andanzas.

Suscribir en nuestra canal porfa para ver mucho mas.

Vamos a trabajar a incluir subtitulos en español tambiwn para el resto del Latino America. Grethel va encargar deesa porque mi vocabulario es bien limitado todavia 👍

Googler

Congratulations to you, @EricMartinezPH! That's quite a big change but super exciting. I look forward to meeting you in October but one piece of "bad" news: you will not be able to video any of the sessions but you're welcome to share photos and snippets of other pieces. 🙂 Safe and happy travels!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Hey @TraciC, I kinda expected as much, will of course compensate with lots of pics 🙂 Thanks for the heads up! How much vlogging can we do within the Google complex though? I know there are several video creators as well that will be attending the summit that are thinking of doing the same.

Super excited!

Googler

@EricMartinezPH As your question is specific to the Summit, so I'll answer your question in the private discussion there. 

In general, photography and recordings are limited on Google Campus to public areas during public events (of which the Summit is not) and all photography efforts must adhere to local laws and if uploaded to Google Maps, Google Maps' policies.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.