TorM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Freedom - I Love You

Freedom is one of the most important fundamental rights of the human being. There are people who havn't the privilege in this world and to many are locked in or out 
The awareness, that freedom is no matter of course, is always an important part of my life. Not even though I'm German, but because I'm German.

So, last week I did visit Bautzen. The synonym for unjustified imprisonment in Germany.

Important note: The history of Bautzen II has to be diversified, because after the Second World War Bautzen was as well used to imprison Nazis/ Fascists who where active in the "German Third Empire".... It was as well used for violent offenders. But this is not my focus.

The details about this prison you can read here: https://en.stsg.de/cms/node/987

To be honest, the internet page and as well the exhibition is the worst I have ever seen in Germany. But, this is as well not the subject of the post. I will write short about the feeling I have had during my stay.

When entering the building, I was really in shock, as with once you are able to imagine how it is to loos your freedom. 

FEB86031-51B1-42D2-B44E-775440A42751.jpeg

When going through this building, you have an idea what it mean to loos your freedom. Especially when thinking about the words of Rosa Luxemburg: "Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters."

Totally different political ideologies did "show" how their human understanding is...

I have had the chance to visit this place with a former prisoner. He was caught and convicted as a escape agent, when he supported East Germans to going to West Germany. I was attonished, that he was able to talk such open about his time. He did know, that this could happen.... He did know that he act against the local law, but his sense of justice was different, because freedom was more important for him, than fear.

4C397452-092F-402B-9720-DE1F99A30DC6.jpeg

This jail cell here, is one of the more "confortable" once....

Anyway, what was the worst for the most prisoners in the Time when the Secret police of East Germany (STASI) was responsible for this prison, was the solitary confinement and the loss of confidence to any person, as parts of the prisoners did work for the secret police.

328C2E07-BB04-4EE0-8495-FF7299D07602.jpeg

Transporter for prisoners. 

When I left the building, I have had about 500 km in front of me in a car, so my brain was working all the time. I have seen there a lot of different life histories, so you cannot leave the place without rethink the value of freedom....

BUT:  The people who joined my in the tour where from totally different parts of Germany. Some did grow up in the East, some in the West. What I hope, that as well Korean People will to have the chance to discover in collective their history.

Walls and barbed wire are not useful between countries and people. 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Gedenkstätte Bautzen, Weigangstraße, Bautzen, Deutschland
6 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Freedom - I Love You

Thank you for sharing your unusual experience with us @TorM. Really love to read and watch the photos.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TorM,

Thanks for sharing this post with us! I find it very nice because not so many people are talking today about the freedom.

We should be happy and appreciate that we have the freedom to live as we like to live.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

I can understand your thoughts @TorM. I had the same sensations when I visited the "House of terror" in Budapest, the headquarters of secret policy.

And more recently, when I visited the place where my grandma was tortured by nazis to reveal location of Hebrews hidden in our house during the IIWW.

We should never forget how valuable is our freedom.

Level 10

@TorM un sitio increíble, i un vehiculo muy especial con muchas historias. Gracias por compartir, lástima no poder ver más fotos¡ 

https://gasmountain.com/blog/
FOLLOW ME ON GOOGLE MAPS
https://goo.gl/maps/nTobaEosxkmA1cvq8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: Freedom - I Love You

@TorM  tak, to cenny dar.

Level 7

Really nice, I like them@TorM, thank you for sharing these  very nice pics. 

Best wishes.