StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Free up space in your Google Drive (for photos/videos)

@YK1001 wrote:

That is why I will always avoid  adding pictures to Maps directly from Photos.

Hi @YK1001

Just wanted to ask. You mean directly from Google photos app or phone photos gallery? 

Thanks 

Level 8

Hi @AkmalB,

The line here is where is the picture when it is added to Maps.  If the picture is in our local device folder, then it has no chance to use our Google Photos space - thus ZERO drive space quota.

(I need to avoid simply say Google Photos App or Photo Gallery Apps, as normally both of them allow us to access pictures in local device folder and pictures already uploaded to Google Photos.)

Level 10

Thanks @YK1001 get it.

Level 8

@StephenAbraham Bro Thanks for sharing.

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Level 9

Thanks @StephenAbraham

Hope this will help a lot 

Level 8

Thanks for this @StephenAbraham

I'm one of the people who've gone over my quota - the tough part is I'm not very far over the $19.99 100GB so paying for the 1 TB $99.99 a year is overkill.

I've got 86.45 GB on Photos, but I can't see a way to filter through the images/videos to see if I can remove some of the larger ones and hopefully pull my total down to under 100GB. Any suggestions? I don't want to lose the quality of all my personal photos, but I have to imagine I have some large videos I can remove and back-up elsewhere.

It'd be great if Google Photos put a meta tag (or something) on photos that are uploaded to Maps, and in turn those didn't use any space. It feels counterintuitive to have our Maps photos, that benefit Maps, force us to purchase space. 

Connect Moderator

I so agree with you @JR_Curley  It feels counterintuitive to have our Maps photos, that benefit Maps, force us to purchase space. 

Leaderboards:  * Points   * Photos   * Videos   * Countries   * Movers & Shakers
  Star Leaderboards:    * Photos    * Videos   * 360 Spheres
  Star Albums:   * Photos   * Videos   * 360 Spheres   * Stars Discussions
  Join in:      * How to Register    * Register   * Login   * Extensions
Level 7

My advice is to stop spending your valuable time giving free stuff to a multi billion dollar corporation in exchange for meaningless and useless badges

Google are using a "social awareness/justice" trait to gather valuable content free of charge from us (rather gullible) contributors for their own (very profitable) gain

If it was "fun" taking part and spending all that time submitting content then I'm going to get twice the "fun" and spend just as much time removing the content, just a shame that I cannot do it with the single click of a button

Level 10

@TerryB .. i use Google Maps almost daily for all my needs. Especially when travelling. A company by itself cannot create the data that is in Google Maps. Which is free for use. I contribute occasionally, accurately, in the hope that many others will do the same. So, so make Maps something truly usable by the rest of us. Even by people who don't contribute anything.

If's ok if you feel that way, because this is a volunteer program, and no one is really forced to contribute, even if he or she uses the product free of charge. But I would ask you to not delete what you have contributed because it helps the rest of us. You could just leave the contributions there, as long as it's accurate and helpful for others. 

Thanks for your contributions 🙂

Level 7

"Which is free for use"
Well, no it isn't really, Google make a lot of money on the commercial use of the maps and contribution that we provide free of charge, you seriously don't believe that Google provides the map service free from the goodness of their hearts do you ?