StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Free up space in your Google Drive (for photos/videos)

How to free up space in your Google Drive, especially if you are a active photo contributor on Maps. When you upload a lot of high resolution photos/videos to some of Google's services, including Google Maps, Google Photos, Google+, Blogger, Hangouts, Panoramio, Picasa Web Albums, YouTube Web Channel Art, you may find that your free space in your Google drive gets eaten up by Photos/video.

*This does not affect files directly uploaded to Google Drive

To free up this space by converting the files to Google's High Quality setting (photos max to 16MP, and videos max to 1080p), which is not reversible, follow the steps below. Which gives unlimited storage for photos and videos at High Quality within Google Services above.

1) Check your Google Drive storage situation at below, click "view details"
https://drive.google.com/settings/storage

2) Recover photo/video storage by going to Google Photos web interface at, and click Recover Storage (this is non-reversible for the existing storage of photos and videos)
https://photos.google.com/settings

3) This will take some time in the back end, you can switch off the computer without affecting the process, and your photos/videos will be resized to (photos max to 16MP, and videos max to 1080p) and have unlimited storage for these files. May take a few hours to a few days depending on how much storage needs to be processed. (this is non-reversible for the existing storage of photos and videos)
Because this process is a one-off, you may need to repeat this process occasionally.

Read more here
https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en

Drive.jpg

29 comments
Level 10

Re: Free up space in your Google Drive (for photos/videos)

Oh really. .bundle of thanks and best regards for you @StephenAbraham.

You solve the issue which is many local guides are facing, 

I will follow these steps and will let you know if any difficulties. 

Thanks and have a nice day. 

Level 10

@StephenAbraham careful though, if you do this, I believe it also down-sizes other full-resolution personal photos that you have in Google Photos. If you don't mind this, or if all those 8gb are gmaps submissions, then no problem. 

Personally I have two tricks that I use to manage my ever-growing gmaps photos:

1. I backup to Google Photos on a separate account - this is for my personal photos. That is at full/original resolution. My gmaps account is set at High Resolution so image storage is free.

2. If I have time, I take the submission photos directly from the gmaps android interface, that way it does not save or backup an alternate.

I have already strongly feedback to the team that storage space management is a huge issue. Unfortunately i doubt it is much of a priority on Google side because 1. free storage is not coming back, 2. it's too complicated, 3. only small number of super high users are affected. 

note to others too that if you delete the photo from your google photos, it will get removed from your maps submissions. This is another very tricky bit that users shouldn't have had to worry about. 

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Level 8

It really depends how we are adding photos to Maps.

I tested two ways so far, and they do not use any Drive Space quota.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Drive-Space-Usage-Studies-Adding-Photos-Vid...

Level 10

@JulienH, yes, understood your comments, and very valid too. All my original photos are 16MP or lower. My phone is 12 MP. My mirrorless is 16MP. Although I know, additional compression is done on my original even if they are under 16MP. So far, I don't mind, I don't notice much quality drop as far as my eye can see for myself.

Regarding the delete photos from Photos resulting in removal in maps, I sort of have a different experience/workflow to it, so it doesn't affect me that much. If you want to check out, it's in the link below.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Photography/When-I-delete-photos-from-Google-Photos-or-Google-...

Level 10

@YK1001 @StephenAbraham

I am glad to see both of you also doing research on this. But we should never have to do this in the first place, as an end-user, I am contributing to Google Maps and I treat it as a contribution to Yelp / Facebook / Instagram / Twitter and the photo I submitted should always be "free" storage. This should be clear no matter how the photo is contributed. 

Especially with the addition of videos, 360 photos, more storage space might be accidentally used.

I really appreciate that Google is trying to retain our personal copyright and allow us to remove our photos, but maybe there can be a clearer or more effective way of doing that while keeping the same objective and ease of use. 

For example if I am explaining to a new local guide how to submit photos, ideally I want to say just go ahead and submit without worry.

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Connect Moderator

Many thanks for sharing this useful information @StephenAbraham

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Hi @StephenAbraham your suggestion may help some serious LG.

But @JulienH and @YK1001 details this issue which may clear this issue for all.

but i think based on LG level Google should allow more space to the LG as well.

Hope to see a better solution.

@AkmalBand @OSAMA check this issue

Level 8

@JulienH,

My take on this issue is to draw a line just before the photo us added to Maps.

Is that photo not using any Drive Space at that moment?  If NO, and after added to Maps still give a NO, then I accept everything is alright there.  

Think about that.

Now the problem begin with, a photo already using Drive Space (means it already backed up to Photo using Original Quality).  When we select from Photos and add to Maps, Maps will "point" to that photo.  That is also why when we delete that photo, Maps will got affected.

That is why I will always avoid  adding pictures to Maps directly from Photos.

Level 10

Yes @RonneBD, according to number of photos uploaded, Google must provide additional space to maintain the quality of photos. To maintain quality, uploading photos directly from phone is not that too simple depending upon the speed of internet and data package one is having. Any how, best wishes to you all fellow LGs Friends.

@StephenAbraham @YK1001 @NareshDarji @JulienH