VelG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Free Drive Storage

Hello google team, till last week i used to have free 100gb storage given by HTC. Now the 2 years period is ended. Now i have only 7GB free out of 15 GB total storage. Which is not enough for me to keep the photos taken for Google Maps. 

As am a local guide. Yhis space is not enough. 

Please guide me how to get 100GB free storage for me as a google maps local guide. 

I searched in the local guide connect but they says everyone gets 100GB free by default. 

Thanks. 

Regards,

Vel G.

Local guide.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
61 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Free Drive Storage

Hi @VelG,

As you can read here, the 100GB Drive storage promotion ended on March 17.

However, if you use Google Photos and you select "high quality", those photos won't be counted so you'll free some space (there is more information in this Google Photos' Help Center article). And if you add photos to Google Maps directly from your camera roll, you won't even have to keep the photos in your phone.

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 6

Dear Moderator

It is very disappointing that you are not making more free google drive space available to your local guides. Free 100GB space should be available to all google local guides who are level 4 and above. You have provide some tangible of benefit of being a google guide. i dont see much benefit at present. I am sure others will agree as well. 

Could ggogle senior management please consider this urgently?

Level 7

@61aj wrote:

Dear Moderator

It is very disappointing that you are not making more free google drive space available to your local guides. Free 100GB space should be available to all google local guides who are level 4 and above. You have provide some tangible of benefit of being a google guide. i dont see much benefit at present. I am sure others will agree as well. 

Could ggogle senior management please consider this urgently?

@61ajI think you've misunderstood the purpose of the local guides community. It isn't to earn free rewards from Google, rather, to be part of a fun community.

You should stop being so ungrateful, understand that the 100GB was only till March, you've missed it, and that there are other rewards available at the moment.

Level 7

Level 6

Dear Luke Chaffey,

I think you misunderstood the purpose of the Local Guides scheme. It's not about being part of a fun community (how silly of you 😉 ), it's about providing top notch real free content to google in exchange for "points and levels" so Google can then offer this valuable information to its Google Maps users and affiliates. By getting content, Google drives users to its platform, to then sell commercial and publicity spaces to the businesses involved. Getting perks for the hard job is not only logical, but it is pretty much the only retribution (I mean something useful, as free Drive space) that a guide gets in exchange for filling up google map with relevant and up-to-date information.

For this kind of crowd-provided information, it seems the perk program should at least include valuable rewards, especially if provided using the group's services such as Google Music, Google Play (app vouchers?) or Google Drive, which are, let's face it, way cheaper for Google to give away.

Best regards,

NG

Level 7

As Maps is not giving any tangible benefits, Local guides are highly demotivated now. Adding a missing place, providing answers and sharing photos should be appreciated by Google with at least some tangible benefits (like a chrome theme, a paid game, a music track, any new feature or some customization facility). Google can also continue the drive space promotion as they have no space problem, I think (in photos, youtube its unlimited). All my files are going to be deleted next November otherwise I have to pay BDT 1600 annually. But now I at level 7. Can't google extend my promotional date? Google may be doing is intentionally, as there are so many local guides now. It is really SAD.

Level 8

VERY VERY VERY disappointed me too, now all my space vanished, I work hundreds of hour to upload hundreds of pictures and reviews and get NOTHING for this 

SEO and Social Media Expert
Level 7

Moderator,

Initially I did not act as a local guide for Perks.  However, the free drive space was something I enjoyed, and in my opinion was a great consideration to those who were active as local guides.

Giving and taking away (excuse me, expiring) are two different things.  Google should extend this benefit to active guides.  It's cost is negligible since storage is one of Google's main lines of business.

Much of this drive space was used in processing and editing the over 500 excellent Google Maps photos, generating an incredible 13 MILLION VIEWS!

Please don't respond with "Google provides valuable perks such as 3 months of Google Music, etc."., or you could purchase drive space,,,,, etc.   

If Google chooses not to extend this service, instead of spending countless hours making my community a better place as a local guide, I will spend countless hours cleaning my Google Drive below 15 gb.  

Your consideration is appreciated.

Level 8

I have the same problem over here. Working hard as a local Guide and now getting mails to upgrade.
drive photos.png