GarrickW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Free Drive Storage

I was really stepping up my contributions as a google maps local guide and was really priding myself on the contributions I was making. Now I find out that there was a peek a boo window for redeeming the benefit of additional drive storage. Messages here say that the conditions for redeeming this benefit is available in the help center. Why would I look for it there. I looked in my maps app in Android and never saw a redemption link nor received an email. I also never received any notice that it was reduced from 1TB to 100 GB. Now I'm told there is nothing that can be done and it's gone forever.

I am calling on all local guides who haven't been able to redeem their drive storage benefit to boycott by not contributing as a local guide anymore. I will not be participating until the promised benefit is provided. I also have cancelled the local meetup I was planning and have cancelled my participation in our downtown business association helping businesses to keep their information updated in Google maps. 

San Diego, CA, United States
5 comments
Level 7

Re: Free Drive Storage

Hi Garrick

Really sorry to hear of your experience, there are quite a number of people in these forums that have mentioned similar experiences to you and feel rather upset. I'm also sorry to hear you want to boycott local guides etc. I can only speak for myself on here and as I spent time on these forums it was and is quite obvious that there is a window to claim the storage and that the storage would be reduced etc. 

I suppose a lot of folk sign up and just contribute to LG without spending time on the Forums and Community and hence might miss the notifications. 

@GarrickW wrote:

I was really stepping up my contributions as a google maps local guide and was really priding myself on the contributions I was making. Now I find out that there was a peek a boo window for redeeming the benefit of additional drive storage. Messages here say that the conditions for redeeming this benefit is available in the help center. Why would I look for it there. I looked in my maps app in Android and never saw a redemption link nor received an email. I also never received any notice that it was reduced from 1TB to 100 GB. Now I'm told there is nothing that can be done and it's gone forever.

I am calling on all local guides who haven't been able to redeem their drive storage benefit to boycott by not contributing as a local guide anymore. I will not be participating until the promised benefit is provided. I also have cancelled the local meetup I was planning and have cancelled my participation in our downtown business association helping businesses to keep their information updated in Google maps. 

I hope you will reconsider and continue be a part of this community that provides so much to the internet community at large. We're not perfect but we do try.

Cheers

Antonio

Teaching. Changes. Lives
Level 4

I am now aware of the forums and the local guides home page, none of which I was exposed to until I tried to find out about how to get the storage. I had only accessed maps on my android phone and nothing in maps refers to these forums or the home page.

The way I see it, there is no reason requiring a peekaboo window and there is no reason it can't be different. Google promised this as a benefit for my contributions and not living up to that promise just ends my participation.

Level 7

Hi Garrick

To be honest, I would have preferred Google to give me a £25 voucher for my time and effort, to spend as I see fit rather than 1Tb of storage that expires after a year and then puts me in a place that I have to pay for it to not loose the data I stored on there. I really do get your point but let me encourage you to not give up and to keep making contributions to the worldwide community of users, who put in countless hours of their time and effort, to help people like you and me when we whip out our phones to look for a recommendation on Google Maps. 

Your contribution makes a difference, 1Tb of storage for a year, not really, not when you can purchase a 1TB drive for £40.  

Cheers

Antonio

Teaching. Changes. Lives
Connect Moderator

@GarrickW hi 

Thanks for your posting on connect ...

i dont clear about your problem ..

01 ...are u didn't find any redeem link ...?

02.. you didn't get any notification about 1 TB drive storage CHANGES to 100 GB  ?

Level 7

hi @GarrickW

not sure what do you mean on your email,

do You mean that You can't see the redeem link on your LG gmail?

cheers,

Andrey