Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

Dear diary,

It's been Day 2 since everything has become not applied. I hate being that guy who has to overdramaticise everything, but this is probably one of the worst things to ever happen to me. I don't know if I should be tagging any moderators or if there is a specific rule that I have broken (not that I'm aware of), but steadily I'm becoming more and more depressed as my mind goes wild trying to hypothesise the sin I have made against Google.

I tried to upload a bunch of photos last night. A few of them are appearing in my contributions but all of them have either 1 or 2 views, meaning they were not approved to be shown on Google Maps. They're great photos, don't get me wrong. But it looks like I'm blacklisted for no particular reason. God I wish I knew and someone could give me an answer. Everyone's on holiday already for the next few days (summit), so I don't have anything to do for the meantime.

This morning however I did get a notification that one of my older edits got through. Maybe could it be that that I have way too many pending edits? Well for someone who is proactive and really wanting to ensure the integrity of Google Maps, shouldn't this behaviour be fostered? I solemnly swear that I am doing only GOOD things, I'll stake my life upon it. I also tried to add hours to two places, actually for those two that worked. I also marked a listing as doesn't exist, and that worked?

Anything else such as the name, address, category, phone number, website or anything else is pretty much rejected immediately. I hate this so much, and I don't know why I'm so adamant I've done something completely in the wrong. I just want things to improve again. I don't want to start from square one and waste almost a whole year of contributions and hard work.

I'm begging you Google Maps, please please please do something to make me feel like I'm not the vandal/criminal here.

Screenshot_20171012-091138~2.pngIts the only thing I ask. I've been a great local guide, and I've been very active in the community, both virtual and in the physical. Please.

Level 10

I implore you to look at the wording of a rejected edit on a listing. This is the most ludicrous, stupidest thing that I've ever seen especially when making the most easiest, common sense edits.

Your edit couldn't be verified, so it won't be published.

This doesn't make sense, and this is outrageous. Why does Google think it should be the one verifying this information in the end, when it's the Local Guides right here locally that are doing the edits?! Furthermore, what sort of verification do you even need to look at to get the simplest, most common sense edits? Do you need to be linked the guidelines for representing your business? Or are you too stupid for that? Do you need to send a Googler or a drone to check the actual place to see if it's capitalised or are you not into fieldwork? Do you need to go back to primary school instead of having to constantly give you ELI5 explanations? I as a hobby go around to all these different places, making a difference, increasing the accuracy and reliability of Google Maps, as well as the integrity of it's names, information and structure and yet it's YOU in the end who needs to oversee these things and poorly evaluate as such?

Why can't you just instantly verify if the change of name is removing the location descriptor, like you wrote? Or if the place is in full capitalisation to be corrected to normal capitals, why isn't that being fostered and looked after either? Google Maps and the GMB program is fully yours to commit and ownership wholly for, so why don't you retract the offending businesses that aren't meeting your naming guidelines of their auto-reversions software when an edit is made to them?

This is what I love to do, it's making these valuable changes and I'm the one following your rules! I'm not making spammy edits whatsoever, and I am doing my vital part as a local guide going all over Sydney reporting all the bad things, all the photos that have privacy issues, marking duplicates and places as closed or doesn't exist, every single, truly and absolutely proactively.

BUT YOU DO NOT THINK SO. This is absolutely inappropriate to just cull all my accesses and the freedom for improvement! Whoever who is manually reviewing these edits and such or are taking care of the machine's AI/Google Maps software API, I honestly believe you need to rethink things because parts of you are a hypocrite, you are not impartial and you don't even follow your own standards.

Until this is fixed and you backtrack all the legitimate NOT APPLIED edits that were rejected over the past day and a half, I will continue to rage and vent to my heart's content (only on this post), and if you think that's breaking the Local Guides Community rules, so be it. As long as I am not directly harrassing anyone or hurting people's feelings, that's all that matters right now. You took away a freedom and a privilege unfairly, and so I will retaliate harshly.

Or maybe you do need an ELI5 explanation. For example:

• "Big letter in front, small letter after but not in some names"
  • "Place should not be in name unless seen in real life"
  • "Do not tell us what the place does, just put the name"
  • "Where we eat food should be what you eat mainly in the type of place"

Absolute ridiculous joke.

Level 10

You're a dimwit Google.

You decided to approve the move of my school/university to the other side of the river. I positioned the map marker to where the centre point was and that was successful back in July 2017.

Now that I'm at school right now, you think it's appropriate for me NOT to be able to position it back to its rightful place even when I'm at the school itself!?

You should be ashamed!

Not testing your products? Or seeking a release and then going on a so-called summit holiday for three days? You might as well have gone to Nicaragua in the high mountain peaks and be good riddance with your lack of technology.

This will go on until a fix is implemented and all my previous edits are backtracked and reviewed accordingly. I hate to do this, but really it seems I'm not being listened like the other people who have reported that their edits were not applied unfairly.

What's the matter?

Level 10

Don't thank me for something you won't even accept. It's like getting a birthday present and being told in your face that it's going into the regifted pile.

Screenshot_20171012-142328~2.png

Was this improving Google Maps if it was rejected? Absolutely not. Have I helped others make better decisions? Zilch. Did I earn my points? Nil.

Stop telling the community you value them when these things happen. And unless someone can at least even advise that these are due to system issues or a glitch in the matrix (like a moderator or Googler), I can't help but continue.

I'm not sour that I'm not at the Local Guides Summit 2017 actually. In fact, I was only a Level 4 guide at the deadline of the video submissions. So whoever might be trying to assume things they are wrong as such.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Briggs,

We'll take a look into this for you. In the meantime you've probably read this post about why edits don't happen immediately but if not, please take a look.

The Google algorithms analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything added to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines.

There are regions around the world where there simply is not enough information for some edits to come through successfully or immediately and it certainly has nothing to do with you personally. The more information you (or other LG's) collect about a place gives your edit a better chance of getting through. Please keep trying and if we encounter any bug in the system it will be fixed as soon as possible.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Former Google Contributor

Hello @Briggs,

We'll take a look into this for you. In the meantime you've probably read this post about why edits don't happen immediately but if not, please take a look.

The Google algorithms analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything added to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines.

There are regions around the world where there simply is not enough information for some edits to come through successfully or immediately and it certainly has nothing to do with you personally. The more information you (or other LG's) collect about a place gives your edit a better chance of getting through. Please keep trying and if we encounter any bug in the system it will be fixed as soon as possible.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edits not published

Recently, it has come to my attention that none of my edits are published, they are either not applied or still 'pending'. All edits are correct and require changing - I make a lot of changes for most places in West Sussex so wondering if perhaps Google see it as spam and have blocked me. This is not the case, is there anything I can do?

Level 7

Re: Edits not published

What sort of edits do you see as most often published?

What sort of edits do you see as occaisonally published, and occaisionally not applied?

What sort of edits do you see as nearly always, or always, not applied?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Every edit I make is not applied. Whether it be location, name or address. really annoying because the information is wrong and I’m trying to correct it. Is there a way to become  professional local guide who can make all the correct edits for the area?

Level 6

Hi, I live in Italy and I have the same problem: in my town a lot of spots are wrong, I can delete the shops those don't exist,  but I don't correct them.