Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Forever Not Applied.

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @OStr and all,

I wrote this yesterday but as a reminder again - we look for our contributions on Google Maps to be accurate representations of your personal visits and experiences. That is, the reviews and photos shared should be your own and they should be accurate representations of your personal experience there.  To add features to a place you don't have knowledge of or to make edits that are incorrect, for the sake of testing the backend, is a violation of Local Guides Terms & Conditions and potentially grounds for removal from the program.  For the accuracy of Google Maps, please share information that you know is accurate to the best of your own personal knowledge.

There the mods go again biting the hand that feeds it....once apon a time mods where local guides aswell....or have they forgotten that?

We call it Admin decease, power goes to your head.

Where trying to help fault find and you threaten us?  Go and find a spammer and see if they care. 

Help us find the fault. Or have you forgotten where your roots lie?

Go find a "not applied" brigde and go jump of it. 

Advice not to be taken serious just now its a violation.

Connect Moderator

I can't make the edit, something isn't working despite it being proclaimed as fixed. 

I'm sorry if you've misunderstood the issue and the fix, but at no time has Google ever said that 100% of edits will be accepted from anybody.  All edits still need to be individually reviewed and some will not be accepted.  You can read more in this pinned post.

Other's may help you by giving recommendations, but they cannot ignore Google's requirements for editing the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

I can't make the edit, something isn't working despite it being proclaimed as fixed. 

I'm sorry if you've misunderstood the issue and the fix, but at no time has Google ever said that 100% of edits will be accepted from anybody.  All edits still need to be individually reviewed and some will not be accepted.  You can read more in this pinned post.

Other's may help you by giving recommendations, but they cannot ignore Google's requirements for editing the map.

Silly little me, all these big words and things make me all of a tizzy so I can't understand what's going on. My mistake, you win, I give up. 

Level 8
Level 8

@Flash wrote:

You are correct that facts cannot be copyrighted.  However, that does not mean you can take facts from one source and publish them elsewhere, that is exactly what copyright disallows.  To publish facts you need to collect them on your own.

Your argument is one that has been attempted thousands of times within the various forums and which has always been rejected.  Using someone's published work without permission is a copyright violation.  Google is not willing to risk such a violation.

I'm unclear of your purpose here.  Whether Google's interpretation of copyright is too strict or not does not really matter.  To help you map better, you have been given Google's requirements to map.  You are trying to argue that you do not have to follow them.  The fact is that Google can set whatever requirements they wish, and if you do not follow them you put your account at risk.  Please consider yourself informed of those requirements.

So.....all the spin off sites that pop up using google info (that we applied) are illegal? Or against Googles copy rights? Then...how are all these "spam" site allowed to exist?  

Lets say I google a business, first 6 site all have the same info about the said business that Is on Maps. 

So all those sites "stole" the info.

Hows thats legal?

Level 8
Level 8

@Flash wrote:

But a single super spammer in South Africa can go and edits hundreds of place/business to almost identical names, identical web adresses and types....and not be seen as suspicious? If in fack you say all edits are checked en by humans how are these edits allowed? And why in hell can't I correct them? Cant the algorithm or "monkey" see Iam only changing the info back to original?

Level 8
Level 8

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @OStr and all,

I wrote this yesterday but as a reminder again - we look for our contributions on Google Maps to be accurate representations of your personal visits and experiences. That is, the reviews and photos shared should be your own and they should be accurate representations of your personal experience there.  To add features to a place you don't have knowledge of or to make edits that are incorrect, for the sake of testing the backend, is a violation of Local Guides Terms & Conditions and potentially grounds for removal from the program.  For the accuracy of Google Maps, please share information that you know is accurate to the best of your own personal knowledge.

Quick @BruceDM@Flash

Send the do's and don't to the local guide that made this spam listing and placed it with wrong address 5miles away>  

FNB Bank ATM Engen Ferndale
101 Oxford St, Ferndale, Randburg, 2194

https://goo.gl/maps/Wqwb8vkaYFH2

Trow the book at him and See if he cares.  Google is unable to stop this guide creating spam listings.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @NFN

I took a look at your link. I did actually see an ATM in the 360 photo view and based on Satellite View, it appears to be in the correct location.  Let me know if you don't agree or see something i'm not seeing.

It is clear that spam listings are a very sensitive point for many of our Local Guides and often times it certainly appears as though it is easier to do harm to Google Maps than it is to remove an inappropriate item or edit something that you know for sure is correct.  There are many filters and safeguards in place as you know and we are always hard at work on finding that balance between the best intentions people have vs those that are spamming or not meeting contribution guidelines.  What I might ask of Local Guides like yourself is to always feel free to voice your concerns but always remember that we want Connect to be a friendly place where people are respectful of one another. I definitely would hope that some of the frustrations shared here will stay on topic and not devolve into something else altogether. 

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Former Google Contributor

Hi everyone,

As the original issue has been fixed (more information here), I'm locking this topic for new replies to prevent spinning of to different issues.

If you want to continue discuss topics and learn more about Mapping and Editing places, please come to our Mapping Your World board to meet other Local Guides.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 7

missing place "not applyed issue"

Hello Friends Do you know about of missing place "not applyed issue? please help to find this issues solved.

Have anice time in local guide member family.

Level 7

NOT APPLIED :: Documenting the Failures of the Google Maps Bot

The automated Google Maps system is clearly not "fit for purpose" when it comes to the addition of new sites on their maps.

In the case of my own local area the details on Google Maps are months - if not years - out-of-date and that includes some of the photos posted online.

Business premises have changed hands within that period and it has become almost next to impossible to get anyone at Google Maps to do anything other than to justify the "status quo" and - worse yet - to blame the contributors for not following the guidelines (based on absolutely no evidence whatsover) and suggesting that they are not considered trustworthy enough to contribute and should wait for someone with seniority to add the links on their behalf.

If this is not adding insult to injury then I do not know what is.

In an effort to demonstrate the magnitude of the problem I suggest that we create a number of comment threads which list each and every one of the locations that Google Maps has rejected out of hand.

Each comment should be supplemented with a photo of the site and their website address (if one exists) so that there is no excuse for someone to claim that these places do not exist.

It can take a considerable amount of time to complete each submission form with the correct name, address, website and map location details and this is clearly NOT being recognised by those who have designed and implemented this shoddy system.

At the very least the place creation forms should be stored for someone to examine further.

The automated "NOT APPLIED" message on our individual Edit Screens provides absolutely nothing in the way of detail and is one of the most non-user-friendly computer-generated responses possible.

Although we can receive e-mail acknowledgements of our successful edits - the NOT APPLIED edits are simply tossed into the nearest digital bin and the details seem to be unable to be recovered and must be entered by hand - time and time and time again.

When are these issues going to be looked at clearly by someone with intelligence and authority ?

???

The Local Connect Moderators are proving to be less than useless when it comes to helping as far as I can see and the efforts of the hard-working contributors are as easily dismissed by them as by the automated mapbot that issues all the "NOT APPLIED" notifications in the first place.

Those who are losing the most from this farce are the newly-established businesses and non-commercial venues whose locations are being rejected by some fairly shoddy algorithms which the Local Connect Moderators are not prepared to criticise.

Perhaps this issue should be raised in a far more public forum and might even be of interest to the mainstream media.

Unless something is done to raise the profile of all of these issues nothing is likely to improve in the near future.

😞

In the meantime I have created a new photo album on my Google profile which will be filled with images of the locations that the idiotic Google Bot saw fit to reject out-of-hand :

Here is the direct link :

NOT APPLIED :: illustrations of Google Maps automated idiocy
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOA6o8ft3IOQfNvUxsbjTE_GwzVtaCw185zFH3u

I have just discovered an entire comment thread (77 pages !) by a Level 10 Contributor named @Briggs and the fact that the bulk of his edits are being rejected out-of-hand by the moronic "NOT APPLIED" Google Bot responses.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Forever-Not-Applied/m-p/495229

His experiences  refutes the facile claim made by a number of Local Connect Moderators that the edits are being rejected from those of us with "low trust levels".

Even after 77 pages of responses it seems that Google Maps Inc. has done precious little to address the situation and considering the fact that the corporation is wealthy beyond belief it is an absolute disgrace that they are not employing more people to make up for all the shortcomings of their system.

Yes, I am sure that there have been minor bug fixes and various improvements over the course of time but the fact is that the coding as it stands is vastly inferior to the common sense of an individual with average intelligence.

There needs to be a LOT more human involvement in this process.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■